Skip to content
Maintankadin

Power Word Shield Bad For Paladins?! Explain Please!!

citizen320
Fri May 16, 2008 1:18 am
PWS causes half the threat (per health/dmg) a heal spell does, and zero threat if done before a fight. So it's good strat to use with POM before a fight if your expecting some big hits. But, it's not mana efficient in a normal scenario. Normally I use greater heal followed by renew. I usually save the cooldown for PWS for emergencies and DPSers in pugs who like to pull aggro (and keep on DPSing sheesh).

So, it's not bad when used properly.
_________________
<>< Spirit ><>

All on Thunderhorn:
Spiritpalle 65 prot pally
Spirithealz 70 Undead Shadow Priest (sometimes holy)
Shadowhealz 64 Undead Disc/Shadow Priest
Catriona
Sat May 17, 2008 5:20 am
Since PW:S absorbs so little damage before it pops anyway, it's pretty safe to put up on a tank before he runs in for a boss. Our tanks won't go in without bubble, ProM, and HoTs up, and me and the other holy priest have a fight every time to see who gets them first (with requisite "I WIN" in priestchat).

It's also good for MS or knockdowns.
...and for making AOEing mages/locks think that they just might live this time.
_________________
Stonemaul
Catriona - holy priest / Chivalry - prot paladin / Spirallis - marks hunter / Daiya - destro lock
Mehnalas
Mon May 19, 2008 6:16 am
Priests that spam flash heal and shield make me cry. Then they wonder why they can't keep me up :O.
_________________
Kezia
Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:48 pm
PW:S isn't bad when you first pull or huge spike damage is expected. Reflective Shield (disc priest talent that has a chance to reflect 10% of the damage absorbed by PW:S back to your target) has also done wonders for me, spiking my TPS to 3200 at times.

So I agree with the above; as long as PW:S isn't being spammed on you, it's more good than bad. I don't generally have mana issues when tanking raid bosses, so it's not doing much harm to me when I absorb some damage.
_________________
Kezi - 70 Pally - Alterac Mountains (US)
Katerina
Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:11 am
LOL, I only shield pally tanks - and only when we are standing before a mob or group of mobs I know can pop it within a few seconds. (The exception to this is during boss special moves - like Kael's fireball. It just makes good sense to give anyone who might eat that kind of damage an extra 3kish EH.)

PW:S + PoM + Renew all cast before his AS leaves his hands means I'm not in combat for those few crucial seconds while that room of mobs runs around the corner after him and into his consecration ticks. If we are just pulling a normal heroic boss then PoM+Renew seems better, since as was mentioned, PW:S returns no mana and most heroic bosses really don't hit that hard on plate. Trash is generally more dangerous. (Especially when you pull several groups at a time!)

And yes, PoM returns mana when it bounces. The threat applies to the target but the heal is recorded as belonging to the caster in the combat log. Unless the tank is taking such outrageous damage that the GCD can't be spared I use it everytime the CD is up, as it means more threat for him and less for me Smile

Not that threat is much of a problem. Unless it a mob has broken CC or no one has actually hit it yet, I'm not going to pull aggro.... and if I do fading while running into consecrate (and PW:S myself) usually fixes it - and no doubt a taunt on behalf of my well-armored buddy.

I can't think of any reason (other than as was mentioned for boss special abilities that could instagib) to cast an in-combat PW:S on a tank. It doesn't mitigate much more damage than a PoM, and takes the same amount of time to cast as a flash heal... I'd rather use that GCD to try and get a big heal off.

Though PW:S are great for overenthusiastic mages Smile.

That's just my opinion though. If a tankadin asked me not to shield him I wouldn't - and if he right clicked it off I wouldn't shield him again. Otherwise I do so on my own discretion.
_________________