Skip to content
Maintankadin

Raid Level Boss Guide - Tankadin Evaluation

Magnusharkov
Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:12 am
One thing id update with the halazzi fight:

Paladins as OT can cast divine shield and blessing of protection on themselves while splitting sabre lashes and still be immune to damage. Making a paladin offtank take trivial amounts of damage during 2 of the 4 phases.
_________________
Splug
Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:14 am
Went ahead and made a first pass on Kalecgos. Keep in mind I see the fight from the warrior's vantage, though we do run with a paladin tank, and these are concerns we pointed out.

Kalecgos / Sathrovarr: Offsetting
-Depending on the strategy used, there may be phases where Kalecgos' tank will only have ~2 healers available, and a preemptive cooldown such as last stand or shield wall may be integrated into the strategy intentionally. (Possible advantage warrior)
-Tanking the end of Kalecgos' enrage does not require shield wall, but the hasted hits for 10k-12k sting quite a bit without it. (Advantage warrior)
-Divine Shield may be used to remove arcane buffets and extend a paladin tank's fight time on the dragon significantly. At least one person has tanked the entire dragon phase using this method and arcane resistance. (Advantage paladin)
-Divine Shield and Blessing of Protection may be safely used as panic buttons on the Sathrovarr phase, saving a dying tank by dropping the demon back onto Kalecgos without endangering the raid. (Major advantage paladin)
-Depending on raid composition, there may not be a guarentee warriors will be present to apply demoralizing shout or thunderclap to both bosses at once. (Advantage warrior)
-Due to the sunwell accuracy buff, holy shield may not be sufficient to give active uncrushability. While the boss cannot crush, this means unblocked hits are very likely on both warriors (who will have shield block torn through by the low avoidance rates) and paladins (who may not be able to meet 127.4% character sheet avoidance-block). I guess you may have to look at it as a small reduction in effective health, since block value is normally counted for mitigation and is unlikely to be 100% reliable with progression-level equipment. (Minor advantage Druid?)

-Splug
_________________
(Usually) Prot warrior: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Splug
Dragonlgnd
Mon May 19, 2008 5:57 pm
Excellent post. I've been looking for something like this for months and a priest in my guild found it while looking through things=P
Lilian
Mon May 19, 2008 6:46 pm
Splug, bubbling out of the buffets is an interesting strategy. But the whole fight? Isn't that a lot of stacks you have to weather? 4 minutes is a while.
_________________
geros
Fri May 23, 2008 8:37 am
I posted this on my raids forums, because I'd love to see the pally(and our feral druid) get some more MT time in my raid, so that if I'm ever hit by a car the other tanks don't have a steep learning curve on all the encounters I typically tank.

I've got to admit, I think some of these rankings are seen with some slight skill bias from the tankadins standpoint. I mean by nature of this forum, everyone contributing to this thread, you've got to be the best of best in your class. Part of that is going to boast about your advantages and finding solutions / downplaying the disadvantages. That is an immense strength for your own raid, but when marketing this as a general guide to raid leaders you've got to assume slightly more average skill / resourcefulness on the tankadins standpoint. skill > gear > class is always the best guideline in the end.

Janduin
Fri May 23, 2008 8:52 am
I would agree with the majority of your comments geras. And yes, Illidan doesn't crush. The pally advantage in tanking Illidan himself stems from the fact that Holy Shield is 10s CD and 8 charges vs. Shield Block 5s and 2 charges, so we don't have to be as careful about CDs for the timing, and we can keep HS up a lot more and therefore mitigate more damage by blocking on this fight than Warriors can. He is also a demon, so we can use Exorcism + judge and get very good snap threat when picking him up.

Some of this is of course offset by the imp RF vs. def stance difference, and the warriors' oh-shit buttons, but I'd still say pally advantage.
_________________
geros
Fri May 23, 2008 8:58 am
oh I'd agree it's a pally's advantage on illidan himself, I'd just argue it isn't "choose the pally tank unless he's significantly outgeared" advantage. Illidan was a cruel affront to the bears though.
Stilgarr
Fri May 30, 2008 2:05 am
"Gurtogg Bloodboil
MT/TC: Advantaged
A tankadins ability to control burst threat via exorcism"


Did they change exo to work on non-demons now. Or is he actually a demon ?

Only asking as I posted the link for this on the official forums for someone and a couple of Tanks are saying that this is just totally wrong.

I have no more reason to doubt them than I do anyone here as they are kitted out way beyond myself and cant see any reason for anyone to call BS withou a good reason.
_________________
Janduin
Fri May 30, 2008 4:26 am
No, that's a mistake. He is not a demon, and Exorcism does not work on him.
_________________