Skip to content
Maintankadin

Off tanking?

Audrie
Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:11 am

Off tanking?

I'm just starting to gear up in Kara now, so I'm basically running as off-tank while I grab some gear and stuff.

As I've been picking up bits and pieces, I'm starting to be asked to tank some trash etc.

But at the moment, the way we're doing it is:

- Warrior pulls
- I then have to try and get my targets off

I've noticed that I either run around like an idiot and struggle to pick them up (without pulling I find it's hard to get hate off the warrior). Or I use RD and get them all.

It's easy if they're Undead mobs, but for the other kinds I'm finding it difficult.

Just had one incident where I was trying to pick up 2-3 mobs and because all the healers etc had started healing the warrior, some of the mobs were going crazy - chasing healers, etc. Of course then we get frost novas and stuff to try and help, but I find it damned near impossible to pick them all up.

So of course now I'm wondering - is it just terrible tanking on my behalf? I tried using seals, etc - RD'ing the healers they're chasing - but it just all goes wrong - my RD goes off and at the same second it's chasing someone else, or I grab one but then I have to chase another off someone else and the DPS is going crazy on the first one so I lose it again...

Any tips would be awesome Sad.
_________________

Never chase a Pally out a window...
athom
Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:27 am
If you're still undergeared try to pick only 1 in the begining.
Usually i was tanking skull when i was supposed to OT for the guild MT when the guild boosted my gear.

Pre-seal SoR or SoB (incase you're Belf), as warrior shoots run into skull, judge = he's yours.
If you are enough geared to tank several mobs you better MT than OT the place.
If you still are supposed to be OT...warrior shoots, pre-seal, throw firsbee, judge, conc...dont worry about warrior target, he has his tools to get his target on him...and besides...who gives a shit about warrior's problems anyway Twisted Evil
_________________
Dakiros
Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:30 am
Pallies suck as offtanks, especially at the Kara level. As you already noticed we have no easy way of picking up 1-2 targets that aren't undead or demons and without taking enough damage we won't get enough mana back to do consistent threat anyway. There isn' much you can do until you get the gear to MT and have the warrior OT.
_________________
Katerina
Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:57 am
I found asserting myself (actually doing the pull and basically forcing the other tank to grab his target from me instead of the other way around) to be the easiest thing when a pull included targets for each of us (like the stewards in Moroes' room, one of us would take x and one take skull).

This is especially true if the other tank outgears you. No reason to make it harder than it has to be for yourself. Smile
_________________

nekrotok
Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:07 am
if warrior MTs skull, and you OT X and square, try:

1. warrior shoots skull
2. pally JoR X
3. pally exorcism/autoattack square
4. pally consecrates all 3

or

1. warrior shoots skull
2. pally shield toss skull, X, and square
3. warrior taunts/whatever skull
4. pally consecrates all 3

after that just keep consecration up and autoattack/judge whichever of the 3 you need more threat on.

This should get you aggro on X and square, and consecrate should hold 2nd threat on skull, and you'll get mana back from 2 guys hitting you.
_________________
Amirya
Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:57 am
As I recall, there's really only a few places in Kara that has humanoids/beasts instead of undead/demons. Mostly, it's the ethereals, and the flesh mutates.

For the most part, if the warrior insists on pulling first, you can just do an Exorcism and then judge Righteousness, back up a little, then frisbee.

Alternatively, you can do an Exorcism first, get the aggro of the entire group, then let the warrior shoot his target. No shield toss required, warrior can get his target with ease, and you can drop a Consecrate to multi tank.
_________________

12/11 Karazhan; 2/2 Gruul's Lair; 1/1 Magtheridon's Lair; 6/6 Zul'Aman; 2/4 TK; 2/6 SSC
Cearn
Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:00 am
As warriors have a far easier time 'picking up' targets, it's just not useful to have the warrior do the pull. Especially as Frisbee gives the healers a bigger threat buffer. Even picking off two mobs of you a 'taunt one, TC both, manual aggro second' should be more than enough to reach frisbee aggro. Some/Most warriors/raidleaders don't know about the high cooldown(s) of our burst threat move(s) and expect consecration to do the job. Maybe you should talk to your tanking-partner or your raidleader and explain that paladins have a harder time with precise picking up of single targets fast.
_________________
Cearn - 76 Tankadin - EU Anetheron
Romosch - 72 Beastfarm Hunter - EU Anetheron
"gay porn is gay."
Audrie
Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:20 pm
OK phew, thanks Smile. Was having a whole lot of "omg I can't do this I better go respec right now and heal" moments. Lol.

Going back into Kara tonight I think, so will see how that goes Smile.
_________________

Never chase a Pally out a window...
Tyaera
Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:43 pm
Get over the mindset that paladins can't tank because they get no mana from heals

Warriors have EXACTLY the same problem, so harden up and deal with it if you're asked to offtank. The only tank who is able to generate meaningful threat in a no-damage-intake situation is a druid.

Also, since paladins can only taunt 3 mobs or none, its difficult to pull mobs off other tanks with precise accuracy, so its better to have everything misdirected to you, or pull it yourself, and get the others pulled off you.
_________________
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Mishakal
Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:54 pm
How is the Warrior getting aggro on your target, they pull single targets?

Ground Slam? You should be able to get JOR in there before this?

Are you only tanking a single mob?

I am overgeared for Karazhan, and when I forget that I shouldnt shield pull the other tank often has arse all chance of getting the mob if it cant be taunted ...

On mobs that can be taunted ask if you can pull, because you front load threat it will give the Warrior a jump also as his tuant will put him above you!

On ones that cant be taunted make sure each tank uses a single target pull method!
Cearn
Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:29 am
Karazhan untauntable are single pulls...
_________________
Cearn - 76 Tankadin - EU Anetheron
Romosch - 72 Beastfarm Hunter - EU Anetheron
"gay porn is gay."