Skip to content
Maintankadin

Solo a Shadow of Doom

Zaluthar
Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:46 am

Solo a Shadow of Doom

What would be the minimum requirement to solo 1 Shadow of Doom?
I dislike the chaos at prime time, so I grind the necropoli in the early morning.

Although I am only a level 69, I did try to solo a Shadow of Doom (no adds). I only got him to about 60%, then I died, even after bubble/heal, health pot, bubble/bandage, lay on hands.

I am prot specced (ofcourse) with mostly green/blues from instances/quests. I tank him using Blessing/Judgement of Light for max. health return. BoSanc for mana. Holy Shield is up all the time.

So, I cannot defeat one solo, but what would be the minimum requirement to solo 1 Shadow of Doom?
Grigsby
Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:21 am
Not sure about minimum requirements, but the issue you are probably having is you aren't playing to our strengths.

Pull 4 or 5 little mobs around you, and let them beat on your shield. Full Blue Rage bar

Dont use Conc Aura, use the Imp Dev aura, and if you need extra time too cast, use Holy wrath, the stun makes a huge difference.

Keep taking a step backwards now and then, you can't block what's in front of you.

If you have the extra mobs hitting you, you can go DPS crazy.

And I would think you wanna shoot for as much survivability as possible.

I was able to solo them quite easily, but only when I was getting mana regen from BoSanc.
Janduin
Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:53 am
You probably still want to use JoL/SoL. It's the mindflays that cause you problems, and tank gear doesn't mitigate that. Figurine is also nice, and I agree, you are going to want to have a bunch of mobs beating on you both for mana and Figurine when you decide to use it.
_________________
Spofy
Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:06 am
I did that yesterday... Found it easier to pull a LOT of adds + the Shadow of Doom, using Blessing of Sanctuary and Concentration Aura. That way ialways had full mana from adds' hits to cast heals on me.
(Was using SoRighteouness / JoW)
Sashay
Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:01 am
I've found that SoL+JoL works well if you have adds which will occasionally spawn and make a beeline for you. If you don't want the adds take the shadow out of the area where the undead spawn. I don't interrupt the mindflay because it was doing less damage then the shadow's normal hits and if you're doing it with a group you'll want to interrupt the fear. If you don't have adds, SoL+JoW with the occasional, but not necessary, stun+Holy Light with take care of any difficulties in soloing a single shadow. Taking on more then one shadow, while doable, isn't recommended Confused My normal rotation was HS>HotR>Judge with holy wrath/consecrate if I had adds while running ret or devo aura. Shadows will hit hard if you try to heal in the middle of their attack cycle, usually for more then what my flash of light would heal for.

On the bright side I finally completed the plate undead slayer set :p Finally tally of legs was 4 cloth, 5 leather, 8 mail XD The set is fun for kara runs and in my entry level ret set+arcanite ripper. We brought 3 mages+doomkin last night and moroes sadly got 1 gouge out before kicking the bucket. I felt kinda sorry for him. Crying or Very sad

Sashay
Majiben
Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:11 pm
I found I can do 2 shadows at a time easily with SoL+JoL. I like to keep 1-2 adds as well to increase my mana returns and HotR+SoL combo. I'll try three later when I can find one without interference.

EDIT

I was at 80% passive hit avoidance.
_________________
Majiben
If we wanted Ret to be a joke, we would have just left the tree as it was, and maybe kicked it a little for good measure. -GC
Janduin
Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:03 am
Yeah, SoL+JoL+tons of adds + passive uncrush set (might not be necessary) allowed me to solo all 4 Shadows at once easily. Remember to wear your Argent Dawn trink if you are not yet exalted, Shadows drop Corruptor's Scourgestones, and the non-elites drop Invader's.
_________________
amh
Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:25 am
I usually try to pick up three of them. That way it doesn´t take all that long since none of them will be out of sync damage-wise, and I get heal-procs from all three all the time.

If there´s low supply on elites and you only get 1-2, make sure you pick up a fresh load of adds so you always have 3 mobs on you :)

And yeah, embrace the hate from your fellow farmers :(
Eanin
Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:09 am
I'm not sure on gear requirements, but I've been soloing them pretty easily with Seal of Wisdom + Judgement of Light. I don't even need adds, really. If I have a lot of adds, I put up Seal of Light instead.
_________________
djlar
Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:22 am
I tried to solo one.. EPIC FAIL, because I had like 10-12 adds at one time, damage mitigation wasn't enough, not even with bubble heal and LOH..

Bad thing is that the adds where spawning like crazy, maybe I need to try it when less players are around so they don't spawn so fast..
hoho
Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:54 am
Not exactly soloing but I dualboxed four of them on the side of the spawn area with my Kara geared tankadin and SWP geared shadowpriest, priest was only throwing an occasional heal and didn't do any damage. Fight took around 8 minutes and I got around 150 runes from all the shadows and mobs I killed. The hardest part was to find a place for the priest to stand so it could heal me but not be too close to get feared.

It was quite funny when I had a bunch of people just standing besides ma and looking the show. Before they spawned I just mounted up, ran a circle around the spawnpoint and gathered up all the mobs to aoe them down. There was a warrior anda mage who were killing them one by one. Once they saw me doing a couple of rounds like that they left Smile
Majiben
Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:12 am
Coming to report back that 3 at a time is my maximum. It's really the mindflay that kills you. This was post SoL/JoL nerf so it might have been possible to do all four prenerf.
_________________
Majiben
If we wanted Ret to be a joke, we would have just left the tree as it was, and maybe kicked it a little for good measure. -GC
sanctifico
Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:20 am
I spent 3days farming these, taking the stones from 100%-0% in ~30mins (soloing by walking backwards in a full circle and never stopping for mana/heals, looting as i pass the corpses again.)

I soloed four Souls with Seal of Vengence (I did have to LoH tho)

They hit like pansys and their mindflay can be outhealed by JoL and the Figureen block trinket from SH (if you grab adds too)
_________________


3/6 Sunwell Pre-Nerf.