Skip to content
Maintankadin

Soloing raid bosses for fun and for profit

Tiandelin
Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:38 pm

Soloing raid bosses for fun and for profit

Update: If you want to know a much easier place to kill him, disregard most of this post and scroll down.

By now, everyone knows how easy it is to solo Garr with a passive uncrushability set and sufficient block value. Since he drops one of the Thunderfury bindings, there is at least that incentive to kill him. However, it's really a vanity item now, and the only other reward is the knowledge and bragging rights that you've schooled a 40-man raid boss while being afk almost the whole time.

But what if there was another pre-expansion raid boss you could solo who dropped something unique, something valuable, a non-soulbinding item so rare that you could sell it for ridiculous amounts of gold.

Like, say, [Tome of Polymorph: Turtle]?

Gahz'ranka actually turned out to be harder than Garr, ironically. One reason for this is that he uses a frost breath that can't be blocked or mitigated by armor. Oh, and it burns mana. However, that's more something of an inconvenience. The real problem is that he likes to toss you around and up in the air high enough for you to take falling damage if you're not in the water where the fish can get you.

Ugh. So what is a paladin to do, given all these obstacles?

For starters, you can tank him someplace where the fish can't get to you. Aggroing a fish is basically certain death since they place a -75% armor debuff on you, after which Gahz will make short work of you regardless of how good your gear is. Unfortunately, it's hard to avoid them in the water, especially with Gahz knocking you all over the place. There might be some safe areas in the lake, but that still doesn't fix the problem of the highly annoying knockback. If only there was a way to kill two birds with one stone...

To avoid the fish reliably, you want to tank him on land. However, this will kill you if he's able to knock you back. What you want to do is to find a little niche where you can wedge yourself in so tightly that you can't jump (and thus can't be knocked into the air). Fortunately, there are a couple such places right on Pagle's Point! See this screenshot for the one I use, where I'm standing under the little overhang in the corner.



However, you're not going to be able to afk on this fight like you can on Garr. He frequently spawns massive geysers that will toss you around now and then even if you're wedged in tightly. To make sure you're in a safe position, tilt the camera so that you're looking down on your character from behind. If the camera zooms out so that you can see yourself clearly, you probably need to back up quickly.



What's really annoying is that he sometimes follows up a geyser immediately with his knockback attack (Gahz'ranka slam), which will send you up in the air and make you take major fall damage, as well as cause positioning issues. I placed my back to the corner and walked backward a geyser was incoming. Still, he managed to toss me three times during the attempt where I killed him. You have to be careful when you do get tossed that he doesn't evade and regenerate health, which can be very frustrating.

As for the relatively minor issue of the frost breath: it does about 500 damage on average and burns a significant amount of mana, and he uses it fairly frequently. If you're passively uncrushable and he isn't able to hit you through block, JoL should be enough to ensure that it doesn't kill you. Frost resistance aura might help here, and it's probably a good idea to use it if the lack of devotion aura doesn't let him break through block. If you're really desperate, you can chain chug frost protection pots, but this is an expensive route to take. Regardless, you're probably going to be perpetually out of mana for this fight. Keep in mind that divine shield requires mana.



If anyone has any suggestions for this guy, feel free to add them, especially if it involves a more reliable place to tank him where being knocked around is not an issue. The fight lasted 70 minutes for me, which is a touch long to be so focused.
_________________
Hankthetank
Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:53 am
Your post intrigues me.

The fact that my pally currently has 0 skill in fishing may be a minor drawback, though. Sad
_________________
Tiandelin
Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:44 pm
Update: I found a much easier way to kill him.

The Good News

Yeah, the place I described above kinda sucks. There's another place, though, where you can tank Ghaz'ranka with minimal risk from the knockback. You might want to hang around just in case a geyser knocks you too far out of position, though. It didn't happen to me, but there might be a chance.

The main problem with the strategy I described above is that you have a very slim margin for error. One misstep or simple bad luck and you'll find yourself 50 feet above the ground. Considering that the fight lasts for around an hour, that's pretty harsh, especially if you get unlucky near the end.

There aren't many places around Pagle's Point where you could tank him solo. The huts would probably work, but you can forget trying to solo any of the humanoid mobs there. There are some other places around ZG that would also work, but most are similarly guarded.

However, there is one that isn't: the top tier of the Temple of Bethekk. Tank him in one of the alcoves along the side and you'll almost never be knocked out of place.



The Bad News

Actually getting Ghaz'ranka here is a more complicated task. First of all, there are a number of patrols that path along the path to the temple. Two Gurubashi berserkers and a couple trios of panthers will be in your way. There is also a stealthing panther whose patrol path crosses in front of the stairs to the temple.

This actually isn't very problematic, since if you can kill Ghaz'ranka, you can kill these guys with ease. The berserkers do a knockback, so you'll want to have your back to a wall, but they won't fear if you're alone. The panthers will occasionally knock you down, but they hit for trivial damage anyway (around 200 unblocked at most). Use the PLG and sanctuary to kill them quickly.

Secondly, Ghaz'ranka doesn't like to wander far from Pagle's Point. The first tactic I tried was mounting up and aggroing him, then letting him chase me to the temple. That lasted until about the top of the ramp, then he reset. You can use a mounted pull to get him to the top, but you have to be fighting him on foot to pull him any farther.

This is the most dangerous part of the fight, since you won't have a roof over your head. I highly recommend strafing while making sure that he's in your frontal arc. You don't want to get hit from behind by him the whole way. Fortunately, he will stop frequently to use his frost breath, giving you a reprieve before resuming the chase. The knockback effect of his slam also seems to have a limited range as well, as I was hit by it but not tossed.

Other Notes

Ghaz'ranka does substantially more frost damage than I first thought, so it might not be possible just to go AFK with JoL on him. I recently reworked my passive uncrushability set to include significantly more block value (740 now). He barely hits me through block now, but he's still able to slowly whittle down my health unless I peek in to seal light and use my figurine now and then. I have 17.6k armor in that set, and I don't have spell warding, which would probably help. I'm admittedly barely geared for this, though.

Anyhow, I hope this helps. Good luck to my fellow turtle-seekers.


_________________
NarfJones
Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:59 pm
Very helpful guide.

I think there will be a lot of reworking for passively uncrushable gear when the Head piece from ZA is reworked. The Block rating is being converted to +def

That being said, this seems like a potentially very lucrative venture. As I haven't really been able to build the passively uncrushable set, I won't be able to test it, but hopefully, sometime in the future.

Thanks for the effort and reporting.

EDIT: Is that a screenshot of him dropping the tome? And how much did you sell it for?
_________________
Tanking is was made to do
2ndNin
Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:40 am
Can I ask what loot addon that is?

And can you go in not passively uncrushable (what sort of bv are we talking as well?) if you keep up wisdom and holy shield?
_________________
Armoury Link

Jhereg
Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:42 am
Nice, nice......but do I want to level fishing to do this....argh.

I like the profit factor too, though I did pick up the pattern for the 28 slot soulbag last night off Garr, should be $$$.

It's crazy, but we seem to be making a new form of solo quest for the elitist paladin. The weekly =)

More brainstorming for bosses to kill!
Warrender
Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:49 am
Whoa! That tome is BOE? Never knew that.

375 Fishing 4tw
_________________
Kanazuchi
Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:26 am
EJ forums mentioned this. They were selling that thing for 2k or more gold.
_________________
Hankthetank
Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:40 am
Any chance you could post what you use for your uncrushable set? Mine just took a shot to the nuts because I have the Tuskguard. Sad
_________________
Tiandelin
Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:11 am
Here's the set I will be using once I manage to get that new earthstorm diamond. Much of this is gear that I don't use anymore for any other purpose, hence the heavy defense/dodge enchanting and gemming. Some pieces I use just because I don't have anything better (the shield, for instance).

The diamond should more than recover the block value lost by dropping the tuskguard. The T5 helm would probably be the ideal replacement... if I had it. As it is, I'll probably be running on the crushable side, but an elixir of major agility will be able to compensate for that until I manage to get some better gear.

Head: Faceguard of Determination
- Enchant: Glyph of the Defender
- Thick Dawnstone
- Eternal Earthstorm Diamond
Neck: The Darkener's Grasp
Shoulders: Pauldrons of Stone Resolve
- Enchant: Inscription of the Knight
- 2x Enduring Talasite
Back: Phoenix-Wing Cloak
- Enchant: Dodge
Chest: Panzar'Thar Breastplate
- Enchant: Defense
- Thick Dawnstone
- 2x Enduring Talasite
Wrists: Vambraces of Courage
- Enchant: Major Defense
- Thick Dawnstone
Hands: Iron Gauntlets of the Maiden
- Enchant: Superior Agility
- Subtle Living Ruby
- Thick Dawnstone
Waist: Crimson Girdle of the Indomitable
- Subtle Living Ruby
- Thick Dawnstone
Legs: Unwavering Legguards
- Enchant: Nethercleft Armor Kit
- Subtle Living Ruby
- Thick Dawnstone
- Enduring Talasite
Feet: Red Havoc Boots
- Enchant: Vindicator's Armor Kit
Ring: Seventh Ring of the Tirisfalen
- Enchant: Spellpower
Ring: Signet of the Last Defender
- Enchant: Spellpower
Trinket: Figurine of the Colossus
Trinket: Gnomeregan Auto-Blocker 600
Weapon: The Sun Eater
- Enchant: Major Agility
Shield: Bastion of Light
- Enchant: Shield Block
_________________
wayjin
Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:21 am
I registered just to thanks you for that guide. I killed it one time with your initial guide, and that terrible spot (heart-attack when you jump in the air at 5%).

Then I refreshed the page 10minutes after the kill, only to see the update...
I tried that new spot today, worked perfectly! Only the pull is a bit tricky, but bubble won't be used again later so...

Thanks again.