Skip to content
Maintankadin

Blackheart the Inciter

Arcand
Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:34 am

Blackheart the Inciter

I tanked all the way through Shadow Labyrinth last night, my first time in there. We had a warrior but she wanted to DPS and I wanted to tank.

Next time I'll gently insist that the warrior take this guy, unless I have some kind of strategic revelation. Every time the mass mind-control came down I'd spam Consecration and then usually stand there healing myself; relatively harmless to my buddies but it meant I had about 500 mana to work with when the MC dropped.

Righteous Defense + SoR + Judgement + SoR costs more than 500 mana, as I was repeatedly reminded as I tried to pry Blackheart off the healer.

Does anyone have tricks to keep the chaos effect from OOM-ing you? Or is this one of those fights that simply sucks for tankadins?
_________________
Scarlet Crusade - 0/49/12 - Uncrushable at 13.4k
Yes, beat me mercilessly. My skull is as thick as an ogre's.
Shahdi
Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:57 am
Also make sure to position him with your back to the wall so that the knockback hurls people meleeing a tiny distance. If all the people meleeing (including you) are repeatedly getting hurled away, then your DPS is suffering badly, and you're going to take too long to kill him and then have mana troubles.
Torald
Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:24 am
One other thing is that his hits are not very strong.
I use at most times a little more of mana/5 to tank him.
Hadn't ever a problem to kill him.

Greetings Torald
_________________
Torald - 70 Paladin, Blackmoore
http://ctprofiles.net/3606380
Catarine
Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:46 am
Similarly to keeping rank 1 holy shield and rank 1 consecration on your bar, keep a stack or the lvl 41 mana potions (superior, I think) in your bag and on a bar somewhere. I haven't tanked Blackheart yet, but often times I mitigate enough damage tanking that I am not receiving enough healing to keep my mana up. Popping one of these gives you ~1k mana, enough to taunt, seal, judge, re-seal and holy shield, and they're pretty cheap for a level 70.
Baelor
Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:07 pm
A unified strategy for this guy probably would help for when I have to tank him on heroic. As of now, in normal mode, I kinda just wing it. I open with Avenger's Shield and Judgement of Wisdom, then follow up with SoR and JoR, keeping my back against a wall whenever possible. When I come out of mind control, I Avenger's Shield or JoR and try to get him back under control... inevitably I run out of mana, so I pot and hope for the best. I also try to save my LoH for the latter part of the fight, for the big heal and the extra mana.
_________________
I am the shield that guards the realms of men.

Torald
Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:49 am
Don't use Avengers Shield to pull him after Mind Control. It is a great waste of mana in this situation
Just tell your buddies to get to a specific point after MC. He will go to your group and you can pull him on you with a simple JOR.

Greetings Torald
_________________
Torald - 70 Paladin, Blackmoore
http://ctprofiles.net/3606380
Arcand
Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:52 pm
Killed Blackheart last night with three paladins, holy priestess and a hunter. Took just over eleven minutes. Shocked

Very minor tip - spam rank 1 Consecration. That way it's on cooldown when you get mind controlled, and the AI has a bit less time to blow your mana.
_________________
Scarlet Crusade - 0/49/12 - Uncrushable at 13.4k
Yes, beat me mercilessly. My skull is as thick as an ogre's.
Illystral
Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:51 pm
This is one of the few bosses that you might consider Blessing of wisdom for over kings. He doesn't hit that hard really.
Anatheme
Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:44 pm
in heroic mode, as far as i could notice, he's just exactly the same as in normal mode. Maybe a tad more hps, and hit a tad harder, but i don't recall getting hit for more than 1.5k/2k by him.
I had to use a mana pot when we killed him and we have two deaths in the party. (strangely enough, Mage and Warlock... go figure.)
I believe he resets aggro after the mind-control, or at least lowers the first person in his aggro list, cause i've had him come straight back to me, but also go for someone else even while i had burst aggro all i could before the first mind control.

I like the rank 1 consecration spamming trick and i'll make sure not to forget that next time i go there.
If you can maintain a relatively stable aggro, indeed, judgement of widsom will be your best friend on this fight.
Avenger is -really- waste of mana there, you're better of taunting and JoRing.
_________________
"Anatheme c'est la reroll de Benediction."
- Yshuta

My armory
Lore
Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:57 am
Also don't forget BoP.
_________________
Me, LOL!
Dragonzbane
Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:27 am
Another thing I always suggest when running Blackheart is if you have a hunter in the group, have the hunter drop an Ice trap under the MH right before the Incite.

While this won't help us directly it will help save the Healer's mana. No MC'd players will actively go after the Trapped Healer, the only thing you have to worry about is some stray AoE getting to close to the trap.
_________________
Dragonzbane - 70 Paladin - Khadgar
Serrot
Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:36 am
I don't know if this was a bug or a change to the fight, but I tanked this guy last night (in normal mode) and during the fight, we moved back into the first room near the entrance to the instance. It seems that when Blackheart gets near the entrance, his health resets. We must have done at least 300% of his health in damage during one fight. At one point, about 20 unbelievable minutes into the fight, I clicked on him after a MC and saw his health bar start at 40% and jump right up to 100%.

Beware, at least for now, don't let him stay in the first room for the fight.
_________________

Blog: Light's Defender
Thels
Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:45 am
Had him on heroic once with all DPS dying asap, so it was just me and the healer. Took forever, but we hardly hit each other during the MC phase.

Anyhow, the whole place seems to hate paladin tanks. I'd rather not go back there unless I really really have to.
_________________


Zoe's guide to building your tankadin
lethario
Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:41 am
I've had a lot of trouble with him as well.

If the dps is good, we usually get him after 3-5 mind controls. If not by the 5th it's usually a no-go. Once fought for over 12mins and finally beat him.

Last time I was with a pretty underwhelming group - two of them weren't even 70 and still in mostly greens. I'm not sure why they were attempting it but I was called in to tank, and I'm a nice guy, so I gave it a shot. Waste of 11g in repairs.

Tips:
mp5
SoW/JoW
rank 1 consecrate and HS
ice traps
everyone heads to the same spot after the MC
potions
mele dos can unequip weapons right before the MC
_________________
Armory Page