Skip to content
Maintankadin

3.2 Frequently Argued Questions. AKA: Advanced tanking FAQ.

Yaizha
Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:07 am

Re: 3.1 Frequently Argued Questions. AKA: Advanced tanking FAQ.

Gamingdevil wrote:
Failuhdin wrote:Hey guys: it's 1:40 AM here, I have a calculus test in a few hours, and I took sleep-aids to help me get some rest, i.e. I'm tired and I apologize if my question has already been answered. I was wondering why Knaughty's build on the armory isn't the same as he recommends: no AD, no Judgments of the Just, not one point in spiritual attunement. Am I looking at the wrong armory page? Can someone link the correct one? Anyways, I appreciate the work Knaughty, keep it coming! =].

Naihan: Galakrond
Failuhdin: Galakrond


Mine shows he's 0/53/17, exactly as he said, with one point left open to see if he needs full SA or not.


Probably you wont need 2/2 on SA, just remember to activate DP before every fight and whenever the skill wears off and the CD finishes. Oh, and remember to use DP glyph as well... 3% dmg reduction is great!
Yaizha
Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:11 am

Re: 3.1 Frequently Argued Questions. AKA: Advanced tanking FAQ.

Oh and i forget to say the efectiveness of DP is better than SA, coz u get it refreshed as long as you are hitting something, not when something hits you. The it is usable in a lot more scenarios (heros, low dmg raids, offtanking and so on), just remember to hit something all the time and you will be fine.
Venoseth
Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:26 am

Re: 3.1 Frequently Argued Questions. AKA: Advanced tanking FAQ.

Also, since no one's mentioned it, none of our ranged abilities (that I tried) seemed to refresh DP, do melee abilities?

It seems to only be white hits. ^^
xopally
Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:31 am

Re: 3.1 Frequently Argued Questions. AKA: Advanced tanking FAQ.

Great job, I think this is the best Prot pally thread on the net.

I did find a minor problem in the macros section, you have:

Code: Select all
RD friendly mouseover, otherwise Taunt target
#showtooltip
/cast [target=mouseover,help,exists] Righteous Defense; Hand of Judgement


By Hand of Judgement I think you meant Hand of Reckoning?
Majiben
Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:56 am

Re: 3.1 Frequently Argued Questions. AKA: Advanced tanking FAQ.

Venoseth wrote:Also, since no one's mentioned it, none of our ranged abilities (that I tried) seemed to refresh DP, do melee abilities?

It seems to only be white hits. ^^

Judgement should refresh it as well.
Knaughty
Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:42 am

Re: 3.1 Frequently Argued Questions. AKA: Advanced tanking FAQ.

Failuhdin wrote:I was wondering why Knaughty's build on the armory isn't the same as he recommends: no AD, no Judgments of the Just, not one point in spiritual attunement.

Armoury weirdness is implied. I was specced 0/51/20 to set some TPS records for my own amusement in the final week of 3.0. Sounds like some variant of that spec carried forward to 3.1?

As mentioned above, I'm currently 0/53/17 with a spare point for either 3/3 Crusade or 2/2 SA. Haven't raided since patch. Get to test 1/2 SA tonight, am expecting to end up in Crusade assuming I got my "OOM" maths right.

Off-spec is PvE ret: 0/16/55 - I may occasionally log out by mistake Ret specced. Anyway, full PvE Ret with all the trimmings, then DS & 1/2 DG.

http://tinyurl.com/knaughty goes to my Armoury profie (linked in Sig)

Ooooh... look at that... Armoury shows both specs. Neat.

If my gear is showing double avoidance trinkets, I'm in my "Pad my ilevel for Flame Leviathan" gearset, which is kinda stupid. Real tanking sets emphasise either threat/BV or EH/Avoidance.

Worth noting that I won't have much time to update the first page until Monday - busy raiding.
Mithos
Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:18 pm

Re: 3.1 Frequently Argued Questions. AKA: Advanced tanking FAQ.

53/18 here with 3/3 Crusade.

10/61 off-spec. Went retri for XT-002 and I didn't even have to use Divine Plea lol. New JotW is just sick <3. Also, got Glyph of Hand of Salvation from my friend last night, after rapdily counting the increasing numbers of situations in Ulduar where I wished I had it...
leperkhaun
Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: 3.1 Frequently Argued Questions. AKA: Advanced tanking FAQ.

Majiben wrote:Judgement should refresh it as well.


judgements dont.
Majiben
Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:26 pm

Re: 3.1 Frequently Argued Questions. AKA: Advanced tanking FAQ.

Yes it was a poorly worded tooltip.
jere
Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:34 pm

Re: 3.1 Frequently Argued Questions. AKA: Advanced tanking FAQ.

I just tested it and judgements do refresh Divine Plea.

I stood at range from one of the casters below dalaran, popped divine plea, waited till it hit 10s and used judgement. It refreshed to 14s left. I repeated this a few times, making sure to stay away from the mob to avoid hitting it with normal melee.
Majiben
Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: 3.1 Frequently Argued Questions. AKA: Advanced tanking FAQ.

You should include a section on how Damage reductions stack. I have seen a lot of repeated posts on the subject in the last few months.
Panzerdin
Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:14 pm

Re: 3.1 Frequently Argued Questions. AKA: Advanced tanking FAQ.

What... Multiplicatively? This isn't Wowwiki, we shouldn't need to tell people every single aspect of game mechanics when there's already a perfectly good resource for that.
Majiben
Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: 3.1 Frequently Argued Questions. AKA: Advanced tanking FAQ.

This site doesn't have it in a sticky yet and it should. No place better than one of the FAQs.
Txuekau
Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:46 pm

Judgement of the Just

I would like to see an explanation on this talent. Personally, I'm almost returning from a hiatus (illness) so I'm going to duel spec Prot/Ret when I return. However, I'm tempted to take Conviction/Crusade/PoJ over JotJ. If it's a matter of preference that's fine. If there are some groundbreaking reasons why to spec into it I am open to listening.

Txuekau
Varmin
Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:26 pm

Re: 3.1 Frequently Argued Questions. AKA: Advanced tanking FAQ.

20% less damage?