Skip to content
Maintankadin

69696969 Macro

Spectrum
Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:09 pm
The thing about rotations is that 99% of the time they are predictable like this, but it's that 1% that differentiates a good tank and a great tank. I try to be in the great category.

I will probably macro shield/hammer, then maybe put hammer way off in a corner where I can press it if really necessary. I basically alway want to use shield if it's up, and hammer is secondary.
_________________


No really, I'm not addicted.
Viycktor
Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:48 pm
I've noticed from experience... that the 1% great tanks are that 1% because of preparation.

Preparation either through proper gear collection and choice, through skill knowledge of their class and play experience, or even through customizing their UI and macros to allow them to handle multiple situations.

I'm still working on perfecting my 'rotation' macros (options to reset them manually is, of course, a must - Snake is on the ball there), but by having them available as tools and NOT using them, I'm intentionally lowering my situational awareness of the fight and making myself a worse tank.

Just because you have the macro for the rotation doesn't mean you should take all the ability buttons off your bar.

Heck, our original taunt only worked on helpful targets. There was a macro to automatically cast it on the target of your target provided that was a helpful player. Or you could just hit the hotkey for target's target (f key?) and then 'tab' or click to get your target back. It was an unnecessary macro that saved only one keypress and some lag... yet everyone used it because each half second and key press is valuable to a tank. These macros basically do the same.

If you'd trust your taunt to a macro (what serious tankadin didn't?), I'd guess you'd be willing to trust your holy shield to a macro...
BlackKnight6667
Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:58 pm
I Macro alot of things, In this cast I'll probably follow the macros as is (at least to stop the dam noise!!) and I'll still have all the spells on a clickable bar on the interface. That way no matter what I can see the cooldowns always and can click HS to make sure it's always up.

Like some have said, Macros are there to "help" you be better, not to perform everything for you...
_________________
Blutreich
Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:01 pm
but if you wana toss in a reseal or a avengers shield divine plea, what have you then you are kinda boned.

as complicated as the 696 rotation sounds it becomes second nature about level 76.

don't get me wrong i have a macro for everything but cast sequences are to dynamic, it is our job as tank to be a step ahead of everyone, the dps and the mobs included.
_________________

Noradin
Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:31 pm
Should't this be in the Makros/Addons section? There is already a discussion about those makros there (with some improved makros adressing some complaints made here).
_________________
Karock
Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:53 pm
You have to have a LOT of lag to have your macro mess up since you have ~3 seconds of space to work with (GCD of the skill you're trying to use + GCD of the next skill is what normally has to take place before the macro would reset).

That said I personally think 6 and 9 second CDs are better since they let you prioritize what to do and will only reset when something you want to use is off cooldown.

For instance, if you do a ShoR, HotR macro and you have to mess up your rotation for whatever reason (say you run out from a boss that does an AoE blast, like loken) then whenever you run back in you get to ShoR instead of HotR for a little bit more threat/damage in a little bit less time. Add that all up throughout the fight and it becomes pretty significant imo.

Of course with threat how it currently is it doesn't really matter how tight your threat rotation is so you can pretty much do whatever you want!
Keron
Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:42 am
I took the macros posted by Hinata and modified them a little, because I had some of the same concerns as expressed in this thread.

First of all, why limiting yourself to one reset condition?
Start with the main abilitiesif a new fight starts: reset=combat.
Reset the sequence manually: reset=shift.

This is the result:

9 Second
Wibu
Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:40 pm
Spam heroics, learn the rotation so you can duck and dive out of it, be situational.

Sure, a macro is easy mode for tank and spanks but beyond that it loses efficiency. It's much more engaging to be weaving your own 696 and still being aware of what's going on and being able to adapt quickly to an ability or a phase change etc.
Mortehl
Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:11 am
Something to consider if you're using the macros: Nothing says you can't make the individual skills hot keys so you can pull out of the macro in a pinch for that "1%" situation.
_________________
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Zhaine
Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:42 am
i actually did a typo on a kick macro on my rogue

/s Kicked

I was doign this on RoS, not realising until about our 4th wipe (We had illidan on farm) I felt like such a nub and got flamed on Vent for it. Even though most people found it funny i was still ennoyed with myself for wasting half a raid night.

It was supposed to be

/s Kicked
/cast kick

But had just done a new UI so cleared my WTF / Interface folders and quickly redid the macro 2 seconds into the boss fight :p
Zhaine
Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:42 am
i actually did a typo on a kick macro on my rogue (Was my main in TBC)

/s Kicked

I was doign this on RoS, not realising until about our 4th wipe (We had illidan on farm) I felt like such a nub and got flamed on Vent for it. Even though most people found it funny i was still ennoyed with myself for wasting half a raid night.

It was supposed to be

/s Kicked
/cast kick

But had just done a new UI so cleared my WTF / Interface folders and quickly redid the macro 2 seconds into the boss fight :p