Skip to content
Maintankadin

Effective Wrath Gemming

Daddytank
Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:06 am
From what ive found, very little of our gear has expertise on it. with the amount of dodge/parry on the gear we have we are starting to see the outcomes of diminishing returns. in the long run per point we will get more out of gemming for expertise them we will gemming for dodge/parry. expertise is still a very good threat stat just as hit is. and its alot easier getting high avoidance gear and gemming for expertise, then it is getting expertise gear and gemming for avoidance.

I dont think you have factored stat weighting and diminishing returns into your advice. i know i have a large amount of doge on my gear as baseline, whereas im lacking alot of hit/expertise. do i still gem for dodge? according to your advice i do, yet every point i put in is not going to worth as much due to DR. much better to gem for a stat im lacking in.

My advice earlier was simply what works best for my gear, compare the pieces to your own from my armorylink below.

When it comes down to it, it really doesnt make that much of a difference. Gemming bonus's are great nowadays. gem towards what you need, if you are low on avoidance then gem fro avoidance. if you are low on threat then gem for expertise/str.

hell for all we know the OP has some of the Best healers to ever play the game, yet his spell rotation involves mashing his hand randomly over his keyboard. it might be better for him to max his threat stats such as hit/expertise and str, and pray the healers keep him alive long enough for the dps to kill the mobs. there is no hard and fast rule about how to gem. its all determined by your play style and your gear setup.
_________________
verthis
Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:23 am
Afaik defence rating > dodge rating until your defence rating is around 1200. and there is no defence cap, only a defence minimum. Defence + stamina is my gem of choice. Gemming for strength or avoidance ( other than defence rating ) is not the best choice atm imo. Stamina and defence rating are just so much better at the current gear levels.
_________________
Eaglestrike
Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:40 am
I think I'm going to stick with my original idea of red = str/stam, yellow = def/stam and blue = stam. Some alterations may come in, like yellow being pure defense gems since I'm still way too close to the defense cap to be happy (and like it's been said it's the best avoidance).

I always use JoL and strength increases that quicker than stamina does. But stamina is always a solid stat to push, so it's safer to focus on. But I think that with all the gem colors offering good tanking stats I'll stick to getting socket bonus' wherever they come.
_________________
JUSTISE
Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:23 pm
You want to keep in consideration of ur current gear. Lotta the gear upgrades u can get in naxx appear to have lower defense values. I like to run a bit over the 540 margin just so incase I do get an upgrade, i can swap it out and still maintain the 540. I generally do 8def/12STA Enduring gems for blue or yellow sockets. If I am well over 540, I'll probably not mind sticking a pure 24STA in there.

But tbh... tps at this point in wow is really not an issue. I have no problem breaking 6-8k consistent tps in Naxx and my gear is not all that great, its simply above avg. I don't gem for STR or w/e, really just to fill socket bonuses which on our gear is usually a yellow or blue socket. Enduring / Solid gems work just fine.
_________________
Mex
Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:13 pm
Mrmmm, not sure about others but I actually have started to see some (relatively minor) threat issues of late.

I still haven't had anyone pull agro, but I've had DPS breathing down my neck on Malygos (with spark buffs) and bursting Thane on 4hm (mages on 9k TPS ...).

It's not enough to make me gem for str, more just yell at DPS to use invis / soul shatter / back off slightly.
Gracerath
Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:12 am
I've a few str/def gems to meet the requirements for my meta and the defense rating. While we don't *need* more threat, more dps from more str seems good to me. Of course they were cheap on the AH and nothing better was for sale at the time. I'll eventually replace them with something els but I'm not unhappy with them for the short term.
_________________