Skip to content
Maintankadin

DPS in tanking spec?

Cearn
Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:24 am
So which would be the Shield of choice for DPS as prot?
The Skull of Ruin seems to beat the Wall of Terror in terms of DPS.
But what about the Royal Crest of Lordaeron or Barricade of Eternity with hit/expertise?
_________________
Cearn - 80 Tanking Paladin - EU Anetheron
Romosch - 73 Farming Hunter - EU Anetheron
Aegìs - 12 Drill Priest in spe - EU Anetheron
"gay porn is gay."
Knaughty
Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:24 pm
Utterly anecdotal and no numbers to back it up, but...

I'm doing my dailies in my full tanking set now. Tried wearing my off-spec ret gear, and:
• Things took longer to die.
• I took a LOT more damage.

Your ret gear has to be very good to match efficiency of your tanking gear. It isn't worth dropping a couple of tiers to swap in ret pieces.
_________________
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum.
Knaughty of the Nightfall.
Basic FAQ and Advanced FAQ
Zironic
Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:47 pm
I suspect you'll find that you'll do the highest possible prot DPS in your blockvalue set since ShoR is such a huge % of your total damage and scales really really well.

Fun fact, I do more DPS on patchwerk as prot spec in prot gear being the maintank then I do as ret in ret gear.
_________________
Knaughty
Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:24 pm
Did Patchwerk last night, 19 people, so probably missing some buffs (EG: only one shaman, resto spec). Also took 5 minutes, rather than 3, so it's a little more "long term".

I did 2.6k DPS, deliberately using 969, no Shor bug, and tried to remember not to use Exorcism other than on the pull (hit it one other time for twice total).

Our ret pally, in worse gear than me, did over 3.5k.

If you can beat your ret pally, he fails.
_________________
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum.
Knaughty of the Nightfall.
Basic FAQ and Advanced FAQ
Andris
Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:40 am
I'm seeing a lot of people suggest that stacking block value will do more damage than strength, because ShoR is such a large component of our damage... but I think you may be relying too much on the double-ShoR bug and "big numbers" syndrome. (math follows)

The math on SBV is pretty clear:

1 SBV = 1.7dmg * (1+crit%) per 6s without ShoR bug, per 3s with ShoR.

That means 1 SBV ~ 0.7 dps with the ShoR bug if you have ~24% raidbuffed crit.

Assuming that we're using SoB for the regen:

1 AP = 0.07 (white) + 0.16/9(JoB) + 0.07*4/6(HotR)
1 AP ~ 0.14 dps (pre crit), or 0.17dps with 24% crit.

1 Str = 1.15 *( 0.5 SBV + 2 AP)
1 Str = 1.2 dps with 24% crit.

Given that SBV is itemized at about 0.65 of ilvl, that seems to indicate that strength and SBV are amazingly even for damage output with the ShoR bug. AP is going to be a bad 3rd place, because it gets neither the shield block value component nor the Divine Strength multiplier.

If you don't count the ShoR bug, then you get (at 24% crit)

1 SBV = 0.35 dps
1 AP = 0.17 dps
1 Str = 0.8 dps

And Strength is the winner, followed by SBV, and then AP.

So, for DPS post 3.0.8, it looks like STR > SBV > AP, and you can actually sorta put the above weights on things. If you have enough mana to consecrate or use exorcism/holy wrath, then AP and STR get slightly better, but I've found that I start to get fairly lean by the end of a fight without consecrate when I'm dpsing. (I do consecrate during Avenging Wrath.)

And now I can go plug these numbers into LootRank if I want. Crit, Hit and Expertise are going to be based on your actual DPS; if we assume 1600 dps and 0 hit, 0 expertise, and 20% (raidbuffed + talents) crit, we'd get:

hit ~ 16 dps/32 rating = 0.5 dps
expertise ~ 16 dps/32 rating = 0.5 dps
crit ~ 13 dps/46 rating = 0.29 dps

Note that base dps before crits would be about 1333 (and 20% crit raises it to 1600), so an additional 1% crit is another 1333 avg. dps doubled to 2666 1% of the time. As such, crit is less useful unless you can get a larger multiplier or extra bonuses from talents (like Vindication).

With all of that said, shield block value trinkets are probably a good way to go unless you have high crit (at which point something like Mirror of Truth is going to win out). Something like the Autoblocker/Coren's Lucky Coin end up adding 59 SBV + 33 SBV average, which would work out to 64 dps with the ShoR bug, or 32 without.
dunnark
Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:00 pm
Great post Andris, any chance you can work Stamina value since it goes into sp into your weighting?
_________________
Andris
Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:49 pm
Sure, I just realized I forgot to include Haste rating as well:

Also, all the damage listed above is actually 22% low except for judgement damage, because all the rest qualify (I think) as melee attacks. Although ISTR that Shield of Righteousness can't be cast while silenced, while Hammer of the Righteous can. Does that mean that ShoR is not a melee attack for the purposes of Seal of Blood? I'll have to check.

Spell Power will increase your DPS by increasing your Judgement of Blood, and Consecrate if you have mana to burn:

1 SP = 0.25dps/9s (JoB) + 0.04dps (consecrate)

So, 1 SP = 0.03dps, plus 0.04dps if you can use consecrate
1 AP adds 0.04dps to your consecrate as well.

1 Stamina = 0.3 spell power = 0.009dps, plus 0.012 dps to consecrate.

Short answer: Stamina adds a negligible amount of damage. 100 stamina ~ 1 strength with the ShoR bug. If you have excess mana, 50 stamina = 1 strength.

Haste rating increases our damage from white attacks only; everything else is GCD-limited. Assuming 0 haste, 1600dps (per above), and 30% of damage from melee swings/SoB:

1 haste ~ 4.8dps/32 = 0.15dps

Adding in SoB to the above (assuming that SoB procs off of melee, HotR and ShoR), we end up with:

1 Strength: 0.96 dps with ShoR bug, 0.71 without ShoR bug.
(if SoB can't proc off of ShoR, this is 0.87/0.67)
1 AP: 0.2 dps
1 SBV: 0.85 dps with ShoR bug, 0.43 without ShoR bug.
(if SoB can't proc off of ShoR, this is 0.7/0.35)
1 hit: 0.5 dps
1 expertise: 0.5 dps
1 crit: 0.29 dps
1 haste: 0.15dps
1 Stamina: 0.01dps (plus another 0.01dps if lots of mana)

TLDR: stack Strength. SBV, hit and expertise are better than crit, but Strength is better than hit/expertise and even SBV, assuming you're close to the 1600dps/24% buffed crit numbers.