Skip to content
Maintankadin

An Odd Threat Issue

Kaacahk
Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:44 pm
I co-tank with a Deathknight and we both quickly realized that he makes the better OT for a number of reasons but one of them is that I can consistently (given the gear parity which we are at) out threat him without really trying.

Now he is a new Deathknight tank, but he is an experienced tank (we were both Feral Tank Druids pre WotLK) who reads and learns the classes very quickly. Honestly we were both quite surprised how easily I can cruise by him on threat when I have to, even when I don't mean to.

Hand of Salvation helps a lot when he MT's and I OT, but frankly I just don't use RD for the 1st 15sec on a boss for fear of taking aggro from him.

I haven't seen how my threat compares to the other tanking classes since I haven't had a chance to run with any other tank yet.
_________________
Kaacahk - Northrend Travel Agency - Doomhammer
My Armoury Link
Rasmfrackn
Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:15 pm
Also, I feel like my threat is very bursty...

Some warrior friends mentioned that their shield slams crit for about 4800 or so, while I know mine is critting at 5500. Add in our 2.7x holy threat scalar instead of their 2.0x damage scalar, and even IF their TPS over time is balanced (I couldn't say), our opening salvo of HotR and ShoR, especially if it crits, seems like it has the potential to be a lot more frontloaded.

Of my other datapoints so far, I was intrigued that I stayed 2nd on threat on a simple single-tank-and-spank fight for the entire duration. Even without holy shield threat or taking damage, I can out-threat my dps. Of course now I can't remember which fight this was, but it was in spider or plague wings...
_________________
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Elderin
Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:44 pm
It's not just Patchwerks, but a lot of other bosses I have to watch my threat on.

I can wait for 5-10 seconds and catch up to the MT almost immediately. Typically, if the MT dies (for whatever reason), I get immediate aggro because the threat is so high.

Keep in mind this usually without Consecration (I seldom use it unless I'm tanking something; it's too much of a mana hog) or Holy Shield. Just SoV, HotR, and SoR allows me to outstrip anyone else's threat.
_________________
Elderin - Paladin (Protection) - Whisperwind
Consecration is my crowd control
~Healthis~
Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:31 pm
i run with a warrior tank i highly respect and tanked bt with for a long time, on Faerlina last night i tanked down all 6 adds ( we just tank through enrage) then went to the boss when she was on about 70%, he had a 500k lead as he had vig on me wile i was on adds, for a bit of fun i clicked off vig and went hardout on the boss, by 50% i was tanking. the threat output atm is insane. even with his vig on me i can pull tons more without trying.
Lewid
Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:24 pm
I suspect that the reason many Protadins have such amazing threat right now is partly due to the broken SoTR usage. I have been trying to not use this, and when I do my threat is more comparable with other classes, but I can still outthreat any equally geared class, even if I don't have initial aggro.
_________________
Submit to freedom or be destroyed.
Meloree
Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:45 am
I do about 2600 dps MTing Loatheb 25. It's a good example, because I cast consecrate once at the beginning, and then leave a blank spot in the 969. Dropping holy shield, I can keep that up for a long time (OTing). I never get the crit buff. Call it roughly 2500 OT dps I can pull off in a sustained way. With RF up, that's a little over 6k tps, sustained, offtanking, without factoring JoL or SA, and without using the SHoR bug.

I generally can't rip off our other tanks if I give them, say, a 50k lead. But I do generally sit at around 100%+-5% by the end of a long fight for bears and warrior. I have to hold back when the DK tanks. On the other hand, MTing, none of the other tanks come anywhere close, ever. Patchwerk obviously doesn't count (3500 MT dps was... fun), but anywhere I'm not mana-starved the OT is lucky to be at 60%.

Personally, I think Prot Pally single-target threat, even without the bugs, is probably a little on the high side right now. Several of our ranged DPS will complain on threat-sensitive fights if I'm not tanking. Maybe the other tanks in my guild aren't as good as I like to give them credit for. But given that we have an adult guild, and we started raiding pretty late, I think our progression is pretty solid, and you don't get there without at least decent tanks.

That said, while talking about threat, does it strike anyone else as ironic that we jumped up to the top of the heap for single-target threat, while dropping to the bottom for AoE threat?

--
Meloree of Garona <Edge>
Majiben
Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:50 am
SA gives no threat anymore.

Also I would like to see the math you're using to show us at the bottom of aoe threat. Simply put, I don't believe you.
_________________
phaqueue
Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:35 am
^^ THIS ^^

I believe we are still amazing at AOE tanking...especially pulls with 3 mobs...

My roommate was a feral druid for a long time - just switched to his DK to tank... he knows tanking well -he's done the homework on DK tanking...

When we run naxx - we co-tank it... usually I MT most bosses - and we just aoe tank trash... it works like this on 4 pulls... he starts the pull - I let him get a full rotation of diseases on each target... I can cast AS/HotR/Consc... and 3 of the 4 mobs are mine for the rest of the fight... unless he tab-taunts... they stick...
(this is not abusing JoL or 2x ShoR)

and to note - the DK that I run with outgears me... he's in basically all 25man gear... I"m in 10man/heroic gear with a couple of 25 man drops
_________________