Lave wrote:i guess thats true for someone who doesnt get additional heal? when i get strucked down to 10k life by a 20k hit & the next one is coming i need >10k healing in those 2 seconds to survive. blood draining reduces that gap to like 7k.
sure, BD alone doesnt save me in this scenario.. but its still more likely for me to survive in the constant stream of hots/direct heals incoming
It's a little more subtle than that, but essentially you're correct. As I said in the original post, constant healing sources shouldn't change the overall result that blood draining's effectiveness drops off as the boss hit size increases relative to your AD range. While you can come up with where Blood Draining helps (like the one you proposed, assuming you're getting 8k healing between every boss attack), you can come up with others where it boosts you out of AD range (i.e. a boss hit takes you to AD threshold - 7k - blood draining proc, and the next one kills you as a result). The question is always whether it's creating more of the former situations than the latter, and by how many.
Healing extends the range in which blood draining does help. By adding healing, it shifts the whole distribution up. Just to make sure we're not overlooking anything, let's just add healing to the simulation and see what happens. For the next two plots, I've added a constant 8k healing after each "combat round" (i.e. boss hit event + possible blood drain proc). I've also corrected one oversight in the code - before blood draining could proc multiple times, but since we're really only interested in sequences of hits, you wouldn't have time to build up the 5-stack again; as such I've now limited it to a single enchant proc per series.


Plot with AD threshold on the x-axis instead of max health
The first thing I want to point out is that by adding 8k healing, you've become invulnerable (effectively) to hits less than around 11k, because once you're in AD range you'll be hit for less than 8k. This also means I had to modify the simulation to end at some point, because otherwise it would go on forever - it now caps out at 15 combat rounds. So the dark blue section below 11k is effectively "invincible" territory, where you'll live pretty much regardless of the enchant.
The region just above this is where the enchant shines - you'd have died by ~2k health in this region without the enchant, so it saves you an awful lot of the time.
More importantly, look at what healing has done to the upper half of the plot. Now, the enchant is giving you some benefit for hits up to 22-26k, depending on max health. This is roughly 8k more than the last plot, consistent with the conclusion that constant healing doesn't change the distribution, it just shifts it up some. So your intuition is correct, in that for a particular hit size, blood draining gets stronger as your incoming HPS from outside sources increases.
Also note that again, Blood Draining will never decrease your overall TTL, at worst it just doesn't increase it any. At the upper end of the boss hit size spectrum, it trails off to zero effectiveness just like it did before.
For the theorycrafters out there, I would propose the following metric to incorporate heals into the situation:
(AD_Threshold + Incoming_Heals - Boss_Hit_size) > 0
If that value is greater than zero, Blood Draining has an effect. The larger the value, the better the effect, at least until you reach the limit where you're receiving more heals than damage. If the value is near zero or negative, the enchant won't help you very much.
For me, I would estimate the average boss hit at around 14-15k, which would make blood draining a relatively effective enchant (again, assuming 8k heals between boss hits). I distinctly remember Hodir hitting me for around 13k with Frozen Blows last night in my frost resist set, and I think the melees were roughly the same. As my healers spellpower and my armor/mitigation improves, it will only make the enchant better.
Obviously this is all hand-waving math at this point - we'd need to look at some WWS parses to see whether 8k is a reasonable estimate, and to be more accurate with our weightings we should work on defining a probability density function the way cordelia suggested. But we're now talking about finer details that shift the value around, not the overall conclusion. I think it's pretty clear that Blood Draining isn't a terrible enchant, and that the assumption that it's bad because of AD leapfrogging is incorrect.
After looking at the results here, I'm tempted to try and get my hands on another Last Laugh just so I can have a second one with Blood Draining on it for bosses. I'd still like to see how it compares to an avoidance enchant like 26 agility; I suspect that for really large boss hits avoidance would win out, but for hits in the 15k range Blood Draining might be more effective.
TLDR Summary:
- Adding healing to the equation extends the range in which Blood Draining is useful.
- A good rule of thumb is (AD_Threshold + Incoming_Heals - Boss_Hit_size) > 0. The bigger the value, the better the enchant is.
- Blood Draining never reduces your TTL. The extra AD Leapfrogs it causes will always be at least offset by the extra AD saves it causes.
