Majiben wrote:Jasari wrote:Fridmarr wrote:But what do you gain by kiting?
10 seconds of zero DTPS and the option of using available mitigation CDs at other times during the fight rather than only for surges.
Ah but that 0 DTPS is not nearly as valuable as you would think and here's why:
Your healers will still be healing at the beginning and end of the of the surge reducing the time that the healers aren't healing to 7-8 seconds. Additionally dps during the kiting and threat can drop. When looking at the gains this way the gains are rather minimal for the risks.
Well it's really 13 seconds of 0 DTPS since there's a 3 seconds cast and I'm sure the healers are topping me off during that. I can only speak from my own experiencing killing him both with and without kiting him, but for my guild, kiting him has been the far superior strategy. I'm sure that's not the case for all guilds since I fully recognize the benefits to not kiting him.
As for DPS dropping, melee doesn't have to drop at all since they can easily move with him and continue DPS. If ranged is positioned properly they shouldn't have to stop either. My threat drops some, but I've been able to hold threat just fine as long me and a ret paladin use salv intelligently on our boomkin.
And finally, being able to use mitigation CDs at other times can be a big help. In our recent kill we had one disc priest in the raid so even though I was using bubblewall for every other surge we had a PS for times when a couple healers had to go get some mana back or if for any other reason something started going wrong.