Skip to content
Maintankadin

when to use tanking trinket cool downs

Nikachelle
Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:09 pm

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

Think I'm going to slink back into my corner now...
Laterna
Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:15 pm

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

Nicha does your tooltip say you go from 65% to 70% armor reduction ? Because if thats the case its more than 5%
(initial numbers were exemplar.)
Nikachelle
Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:19 pm

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

Laterna wrote:Nicha does your tooltip say you go from 65% to 70% armor reduction ? Because if thats the case its more than 5%
(initial numbers were exemplar.)


62% to 67% was about it I think.
Candiru
Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:13 am

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

62->67

Means instead of taking 38% damage, you take 33%.

A reduction of 13%, which is pretty good :)

(although obviously no help against spellfire)
Corpsicle
Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:12 am

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

Well, Mimiron doesn't hit terribly hard but he does still hit you. If you are having to eat a Plasma Blast with no cooldowns available, then at least using the Furnace Stone cooldown will help with any melee hits that land during the Plasma Blast ticking. :)
Salamandra
Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:15 am

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

Pretty sure it doesn't melee while channeling a spell.
Corpsicle
Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:07 am

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

Plasma blast is a dot, not a channel.
PsiVen
Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:51 am

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

Unless there's <3 paladins in the raid and zero healing priests, there are always cooldowns for Plasma Blast... So it's probably not your fault if you die to one without anything :P
Salamandra
Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:26 am

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

Also unless you're on hard mode, you should probably only get two.
Digren
Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

I don't need Oh Shit stuff that often. When I do, and bubblewall is down, I usually click 2-3 of my healthstone, health potion, dodge trinket, armor trinket.

Otherwise I only use them when I know something bad is coming, like on the Auriaya pull.
Venoseth
Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:48 am

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

Not to be nit-picky but I almost always prefer Indestructible Potion to Health Potions of any kind. They're on the same CD (but you can use 1 before combat begins and another 2+ minutes later on the same encounter).
Corman
Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:12 pm

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

Salamandra wrote:Also unless you're on hard mode, you should probably only get two.


Could you tell my raid this?

We seriously had 5 the first time I think and then 4 and are now down to below 4 (3 plus some time).

Ah well... I use Furnace Stone + Heart of Iron. As with others, I save them except for some fights.

Example - Pop one as we exit each heart phase of XT because healers are slow on the ball as they're dpsing during it.
Pop one when rocks spawn on Kolo.
I pop one when the 1st of the big two adds near Auriaya drops.
I watch for silences on healers in Thorim and pop one.
Which one depends whether magical damage or not. Magic -> Heart. Phys - > Furnace.
Hodir frozen blows....
The only constant fights really are Ignis but I save for in case of silence, Iron council I pop them once my indestruct potion wears off, chaining.
Mim ... don't use them on really.
Surge -> Vezax.
Yeah, I either use them preemptorily or not at all - better to use it before you have to then use it once you're already screwed.
Digren
Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

Venoseth wrote:Not to be nit-picky but I almost always prefer Indestructible Potion to Health Potions of any kind. They're on the same CD (but you can use 1 before combat begins and another 2+ minutes later on the same encounter).


No health or armor potion will save me from the next big incoming smash. I'm clicking the health potion (along with the healthstone) to try to survive a bit of splash damage that could kill me before I get the next big heal. A health boost is more valuable than an armor boost, because splash damage is either A) magic, and thereby bypasses armor, or B) physical but small, so that the reduction due to 3500 incremental armor is much less than ~4k health of a potion + my existing armor.

In 3.2 when my injectors heal me for more, it will be even better.
Soralin
Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:00 pm

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

You're talking about two separate purposes. The Indestructible potion will significantly reduce the amount of damage you take over its duration, whereas the health potion is a temporary health boost. One is proactive and one is reactive. If you're expecting to take a lot of physical damage pop an armor pot. If you're not, then leave the cooldown free for health potions.

It's also worth noting that you can take an armor pot just prior to pulling and be able to use another potion 60 seconds later, so you can get the best of both worlds. For harder hitting (melee) bosses though, I tend to pick the armor potion (x2) to reduce my DTPS, and rely on my healers for topping me up (or healthstone/trinkets/shieldwalls when appropriate).
Annadin
Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:11 am

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

Digren wrote: I'm clicking the health potion (along with the healthstone)


Gotta keybind the "Oh $h1t" buttons, surely!

But yeah, Indestructible Potion before the pull, to ease the strain on healers while the fight is set up (and also because every little helps and there's no great argument for not taking one) and then whatever suits the fight whilst in combat.