Skip to content
Maintankadin

Effective Wrath Gemming

daemonym
Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:53 am
im of the mind that i ask myself:

is my total health decent? def/stam gems
health ok but not block capped? defense gems everywhere
block capped and decent health? dodge=win, till the 700ish margin and then incoming parry (O.o)
_________________
Markoh
Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:20 am
I've been doing parry/stam for my red slots. I have absolutely no proof to back up my decision and its based completely on a gut feeling. Since we get a ton of dodge and we get more avoidance from it I've been gemming parry/stam in my red slots in an attempt to bring my avoidance stats together.

Since I'm over "block cap" I'm trying to change my avoidance away from block rating and toward parry/dodge. I also want to bring my parry up some since it's my lowest avoidance stat so it won't suffer from dr while my dodge will.

Don't take this to say I'm avoiding dodge or anything, just I feel the small loss from dodge > parry is going to eventually equal out with dr, but like I said absolutely no proof whatsoever and purely off of my own personal feelings.
_________________
"Salv doesn't fix stupid"
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mal%27Ganis&n=Duces
Venoseth
Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:52 am
Well, here's what I did, gimme some opinions:

I got a http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37401 and I put Potency on it (From TBC, 20STR) instead of AGI. I figured that after being block capped, the STR was a better trade-off than the AGI, gives me EH from BV, as well as improved DPS/threat, so I'm happy.

In-general, I agree, gem for DEF / Dodge / Stamina. People neglect one thing tho', if you an extra 100k damage in a fight, the mob isn't alive to hit you all of those times. I know it's something you can't really model, but we all know it's not always cut and dry when making this choices. ^^;

Then again, I guess we're all going Titanguard when it comes out anyway, amirite? http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/images/news/2008/december/9355newenchants.jpg

Edit: Simplification.
_________________
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work."

"Education is an ornament in prosperity and refuge in adversity."
Markoh
Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:07 pm
You don't need super high amounts of dodge to hit dr. Yes point for point dodge is better, but what I'm talking about is the hybrid dodge/stam vs the parry/stam. We are talking 8 parry vs 8 dodge, not some ungodly number. Not dropping 80-100 points in dodge for equal parry just one slot in an attempt to bring avoidance into line.

.203% dodge vs .162% parry, with holding all else that's a .041% avoidance loss, not even equal to a 10th of a percent. I'm not going to go into what advantages equal parry avoidance has vs equal dodge avoidance b/c those are fairly obvious. But rather with diminishing returns I feel that loosing .041 pre dr avoidance is worth it b/c you will save yourself on the stats set in your gear which tend to be more dodge heavy (though with dks and there reliance on non block avoidance coupled with the effect of dr parry is much more common than pre wotlk).

If I'm already experiencing dr at 19% dodge why not take the loss of less than 4 one hundreths of a percent to start to try and bring parry in line. It's the same basic argument as why def is better than dodge just at a much smaller level.

In my mind the two gems are about equal so I see no point in hailing one as the great end all be all of red slot gemming decisions.
_________________
"Salv doesn't fix stupid"
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mal%27Ganis&n=Duces
Majiben
Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:57 pm
having about 1/3rd as much parry rating as dodge rating is closer to optimal. Equal amounts is very bad and should be avoided if you can help it (not always possible).
_________________
I made a port to exodar. My friend proceeds to MD Alar onto the AFK tank, and we both run. People ran with us, until the port, and realised it was to exodar. Only three of us went through. Turns out people would rather die than go to exodar. -Infurnus
harlekin
Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:45 pm
You can find out which gem is better for you using my new and improved spreadsheet. http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintankadin/viewtopic.php?t=18323 There is really no general answer to which is better, as it depends on your specific gear. (Though defense tends to be the best option until block cap and dodge for some time thereafter)

Just download the spreadsheet (it should work in Google Docs for those who don't have Excel) and enter your stats. Put the gem values in the appropriate columns and check the results at the bottom. You should be able to make a more educated decision from there.

The EH calculations are imperfect, but should at least have some basis in reality. I haven't yet devised an effective TTL calculation to stick in there though.
_________________
Shadow Council - US - Horde
Xandreth (74) - Prot Paladin - MT (going ret until 75)
Tyrenn (80) - Frostfire Mage
Saege (70) - Resto Druid in training
Staub (63) - DK backup tank
Ratanna
Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:35 pm
pick up JC like i did. gem problems no more
_________________

Alrinea
Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:17 am
on the topic of dodge vs parry for avoidance:

dodge is > parry point for point if they are on equal levels.
having played around with the spreadsheet for a while now, i found that keeping my parry rating ~100 points below my dodge rating works fine, the DR on dodge makes the 8 dodge result in less avoidance than the 8 parry.
so never forget that parry DOES have a higher DR coefficient, yet we tend to have less parry on our gear.

if in doubt, use the spreadsheet to compare def/dodge/parry for your individual ratings and youre fine.

as stated many times, threat is not an issue. if it is, HoS the person with the highest threat solves that problem.
as our t7 helmets feature expertise, we are capped there, no need to consider geming for it - str is nice on gear, yet geming for it is not a perfect use of your gemslots.
_________________
Mynt
Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:32 am
I'm currently at the defense minimum of 540, but not yet block capped @ 87.19% with HS up...

would my gem of choice for a red slot be the Dodge/Def Gem? I have 2 Dodge/Stam gems in there now. Just curious on if I should focus more on getting block capped as opposed to the extra 24 stam from those gems.