Staying second in threat isn't a real problem anymore like it was in BC. Hell I have more trouble accidentally not passing the warrior tank in threat.
Mana is hardly an issue anymore either. Just Divine Plea, use wisdom on occasion, sacrifice, blood.. the options are plenty.
If you are very friendly with your co-tanks and they don't mind letting you MT then MT'ing is far easier to do as a pally as you can just let loose. But OT'ing is a fun job too and easy enough to do as a pally. Just go with the flow.
The real issue is protdpsing when there is no need for an OT at all ala the Saph fight. Though a nice thing you can do with saph is OT and stay second in threat in case the tank dies. If you change out gear to just dps then that option is lost to you.
What I've been trying to do is build a very high BV+Str gear set in order to OT and dps when I'm not tanking. That way I can hopefully still maintain a high dps and step in if needed. Stepping in when you are in heavy block gear is at least feasible where stepping in wearing ret gear is not.
_________________
