Lore wrote:Garath.Gorefiend wrote:On live, what gets us raid tanking spots is threat. Druids and DKs mitigate better, and are more optimal for hard mode fights. Warriors have more tools to play with.
What you're forgetting in this statement is that DK survivability (especially as Blood) and cooldowns have been given some pretty severe nerfs, Druid avoidance has been lowered relative to the other classes, and Warriors are receiving the exact same scaling nerf on Shield Slam that we're receiving on Shield of Righteousness. On top of that, we're gaining a fairly big EH increase through the new Ardent Defender (both as a function of the non-leapfroggable DR effect and the 30% self-heal).
This is why you can never look at single changes in a vacuum.
Also, if the only thing scoring you a raid invite is your threat output, you need to take a real serious look at how much you're bringing to the table as a raider.
What your missing is that our threat is getting partially capped, and meanwhile, from what I have seen on PTR, a lot of DPS classes are getting buffs...
What I am trying to point out, and obviously failing, is that its really really bad design to effectively cut block tank threat scaling with raid buffs. The cap on ShoR is severe. On the PTR, it does considerably less as a portion of our DPS/TPS than it does on live, and raid buffs didnt help.
I can understand Blizz wanting to limit our ability to do huge damage spikes. What I dont understand is why they set the cap so low. If they had set the DR base to 40*lvl and the cap to 50*lvl, it would be a lot closer to what we are currently seeing on live.
I am sure you have done some raid tanking on the PTR. Whats your threat lead looking like vs live?
If its anything like my experiences, our threat lead on the PTR is not as big.
I probably should of rephrased the part about what gives us tanking spots. What I meant is, that in my guild, the tanking core consists of Druid, DK and Paladin tanks. On live, if the boss fight requires high threat, then I, as the pally tank always get the nod.
I am not sure why your bringing up mitigation and EH changes into a discussion of tank threat though.
But to reprhase my point. Can you think of any real justification or benefit to PvE to only allow block tank threat to scale with raid buffs on only 75% of their TPS? Do you see this as good design?
But, if you do wnat to discuss AD, its not all EH increase...the mitigation provided by AD is actually less than it was....it is simply reliable now as it cant be leapfrogged. I will admit I love the new 30% self-heal, though I wish it would check for guardian spirit before getting consumed.