Skip to content
Maintankadin

Consercration : needs rework?

Aedolfmawini
Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:03 pm
"I've seen a lot of people saying the sky is blue lately. Uh... since when? The sky is green. Duh."
"Ummm.... no, the sky isn't green. Never has been."
"It is too green. I looked up one day and saw it!"
"Really. It's not."
"Unless my eyes have been lying to me for __ years, it's green!"
"Here's a picture. See? Not green."


This is just as ridiculous. And will end with the same obvious result. Unless there is a talent for your class that states otherwise... periodic damage spells do NOT crit.
Elsie
Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:10 pm
If anyone feels compelled to post on the tanking / suggestions forum you're free to use my points in quote so long as you make sure to note that I don't feel paladins are in a bad state, but more than due to consecrate's absurd mana cost and lower effectiveness in all aspects it just isn't very viable to alternatives.

So a paladin cannot use consecrate reliably on an AoE pack in 25-Mans simply because he cannot gain regain the mana since he will not have threat. This has actually been a big problem for many, I think.
Serelynn
Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:47 pm
It's actually rather interesting looking at how Blizzard changed a few of these spells:

Blizzard - http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=42940
Apply Aura: Periodic Trigger
Interval: 1 second

Arcane Missiles - http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=42846
Apply Aura: Periodic Trigger
Interval: 1 second

Consecration - http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=48819
Persistent Area Aura: Periodic Damage
Value: 113 every 1 second

The abilities that can crit are periodic triggers, it's not DoT damage, each time it triggers it basically casts a spell that does damage. I guess that's how Blizzard got around some of the limitations they had before where it was functionally impossible for DoTs to crit.
_________________


"I've come to the conclusion that I'm not actually living. I'm just killing time." - tiny ghosts
Paynifier
Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:21 pm
Wow, I'm both relived, and a little worried, to hear I wasn't the only paladin somehow disappointed in my consecrate performance lately.

Having my healers standing in the consecrate, or me making sure it is placed between them and the spawn point has helped, but still it seems like the healers are ripping the threat right out of my hands before it can build.

It is a big expenditure of mana, which if the aoers do their job quickly as they aught, seems to have little return. Now, if the little adds were something that stayed alive for a long time and hit on me for a bit, consecrate wouldn't be so bad.

But yeah, for initial grab on a short lived mob it can be iffy. I've been sort of wondering how to break it to my non-paladin co-tanks that maybe they should let me tank the big boss while they wrangle adds. Oiy, what a switch, but honestly I don't feel like I'm doing the raid any favors on add duty anymore. Which come to think of it, I never really liked much anyhow... so maybe weak-sauce consecrate is my new best friend. Wink
_________________
Dame Paynifier Ahalin, Prot Paladin, Shadow Council, US