Skip to content
Maintankadin

Your CAPtains: Crit, Block Hit and Expertise

Darus
Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:03 pm

Re: Your CAPtains: Crit, Block Hit and Expertise

ahpy wrote:
Honorshammer wrote:Hit Cap

At level 70, to be Hit Capped so you wouldn't miss, you needed 141 Hit Rating, further reduced to 95 by the talent Precision. Well Precision went bye bye. At level 80, you need 295 Hit Rating to be Hit Capped.


Testing at 80 with no hit gear shows that you need nothing like 295 hit rating to be capped (for melee). Please consider changing this info. 5% is needed for melee and 13% for spells (based on testing on boss dummy with about 4000 swings).


Thats not true, the hitcap should idd be 8% and not 9% but spellhit is 13% IF you have a draenei and a shadowpriest/moonkin putting up the buff on your target. The 5% hitcap is for pvp not pve, since the initial chance to get missed as we all know is 5%.

Also it says in the post soft-Exp cap is 24, im 100% positive it is not. Should still be at 26. Been getting dodges while testing on my shaman using those 24.
Discerpo
Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:24 pm

Re: Your CAPtains: Crit, Block Hit and Expertise

Honorshammer wrote:Dwarves get 5 Expertise with Maces. So far there are no high end tanking maces. =(


INEVITABLE DEFEAT best Death Knight tanking weap in game is a mace...

now i know if you were focusing on becoming a tank DK you would be either a N Elf or a tauren but meh...

besides trolls are cooler anyway
Apollya
Sun May 17, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Your CAPtains: Crit, Block Hit and Expertise

Some Awesome info here Honorshammer.

I currently hold the sticky on the Blizz EU forums for Protection paladins and was wondering If I can add this Cap information to the new and improved Version of the sticky.

Obviously Credits will be given to you at the bottom of the post. I'll also keep the majority of the content as it is, however I may change wording slightly to clarify / simply parts if / where needed.

Also While I think about it I'd like a bit more info on the Expertise Cap. My understanding was that you need 6.5% reduced chance to be blocked / Parried at "Parry range" (Parry Range is a term that was used to describe attacking a boss from behind in melee range). Now as I understand it the boss only has a 6.5% chance to parry / dodge if attacked from behind but this was a lot higher if attacking from the front, which as a tank you often so (unless OTing). So I understood that as tanks we needed way more than the 24 Parry that you've detailled.

Can anyone comment on this and give some more info. I may well be wrong but would be good to know either way.
sublimated
Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:59 pm

Re: Your CAPtains: Crit, Block Hit and Expertise

Apollya wrote:Also While I think about it I'd like a bit more info on the Expertise Cap. My understanding was that you need 6.5% reduced chance to be blocked / Parried at "Parry range" (Parry Range is a term that was used to describe attacking a boss from behind in melee range). Now as I understand it the boss only has a 6.5% chance to parry / dodge if attacked from behind but this was a lot higher if attacking from the front, which as a tank you often so (unless OTing). So I understood that as tanks we needed way more than the 24 Parry that you've detailled.


Boss (or anything) has a 0% chance to parry when attacked from behind. Simply cannot parry an attack from behind (think of how that would even work in a real life scenario)
Conaan!
Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:07 am

Re: Your CAPtains: Crit, Block Hit and Expertise

Apollya wrote:Also While I think about it I'd like a bit more info on the Expertise Cap. My understanding was that you need 6.5% reduced chance to be blocked / Parried at "Parry range" (Parry Range is a term that was used to describe attacking a boss from behind in melee range). Now as I understand it the boss only has a 6.5% chance to parry / dodge if attacked from behind but this was a lot higher if attacking from the front, which as a tank you often so (unless OTing). So I understood that as tanks we needed way more than the 24 Parry that you've detailled.

Can anyone comment on this and give some more info. I may well be wrong but would be good to know either way.


26 expertise is the dodge cap, it completely removes the chance for the boss to dodge your attacks, but the boss still has a parry chance, and any expertise after that starts reducing the chance for the boss to parry your attack

mobs can not parry attacks made from behind, but can dodge them
Playdoh
Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:55 pm

Re: Your CAPtains: Crit, Block Hit and Expertise

Found what i was looking for.

Again thanks goes to theckhd. http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23536

At 0 expertise, the boss has a 6.5% chance of dodging you, and a 14% chance to parry you.
Each point of expertise reduces the chance the boss will dodge you by 0.25% as well as the chance he'll parry you by 0.25%.

It takes 26 expertise to reduce the dodge chance to 0% (and the parry chance to 7.5%).
It takes 56 expertise to reduce the parry chance to 0%.

Each point of expertise after 26 is half as effective as it was below 26, because the boss already has a 0% chance to dodge. Thus, expertise gets weaker above the dodge soft cap. It's entirely useless above the parry cap of 56, but this is rarely achieved in practice anyway.

Since Bosses cannot be parried if you attack from behind there is absolutely no reason to get above 26 expertise as a physical dps, and the benefits from going above 26 expertise as a tank are significantly diminished.
Pizbit
Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:45 pm

Re: Your CAPtains: Crit, Block Hit and Expertise

Could you change 102.5% to 102.4%.
Include Hand of Reckoning, you mention we only have RD.
Say what percentage the hit cap is, not just rating rating :D

<3
Doxa
Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:13 pm

Re: Your CAPtains: Crit, Block Hit and Expertise

Pizbit wrote:Could you change 102.5% to 102.4%.
Include Hand of Reckoning, you mention we only have RD.
Say what percentage the hit cap is, not just rating rating :D

<3


Mention of the +1% hit racial may also be beneficial. If possible, I usually rearrange groups accordingly. Why gear for what you can almost always get for free?