Worldie
Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:59 pm
Re: 3.1 Frequently Argued Questions. AKA: Advanced tanking FAQ.
Tbh i bet http://ptr.wowhead.com/?spell=64412 has something to do with the explosion, it reminds me a lot of KJ.

Worldie wrote:Tbh i bet http://ptr.wowhead.com/?spell=64412 has something to do with the explosion, it reminds me a lot of KJ.
Zironic wrote:Along with all these, why is Sartharion considered an "extremely common" case?
Because Sarth and Malygos are the only bosses in the game that can currently kill our MT and for Maly it's pure healer negligence that causes the death(healers get bored, try to raid heal a bit, MT dies).
Zironic wrote:However the case off "healer can't heal for X seconds" is very common. I'm tired of people saying it's a bad talent, it's a good talent and for 25 man progression tanking I think it's a better choice to go 5/5 divinity then 3/3 crusade.(When did you last wipe because your paladin did too little aggro?).
Zironic wrote:There's multiple fights in ulduar where additional healing -is- good. Any situation with high raid damage or huge tank damage or movement. Basically whole Ulduar and we don't even know about Yogg Saronn and Algalon yet.
Zironic wrote:The datamined abilities from Algalon seems to imply quite a bit of moving, both an AoE that hits for 40k(probably avoidable or dividable á la meteor) and an AoE that hits for 100k with 8 sec cast(traditional run out of LoS?), also seems he spawns black holes that have to be killed before they explode and deal 15k aoe damage.
toothdecaykills wrote:
To me this seems more like you're arguing form a lazy healer standpoint which isn't very compelling. I see your point, especially for early tanks who may be in groups who lack skill, but
toothdecaykills wrote:I cannot speak from experience when it comes to tanking Sartharion. Honestly, I know my place on that fight, I'm tanking the trash adds. My guild understands that my skill, tools, and experience make me so much better in this role than any of our other tanks. I can't truly comment with much knowledge of this part of the encounter or whether Divinity would help or not. My point is, Sartharion is one boss. He's arguably the hardest for the current level of 25 man raid content, but nevertheless he is one singular encounter. It isn't merely happenstance that this fight favours Death Knights and Druids. Perhaps Divinity might help even this field, but that applies only to this fight. I would much rather spend my 3 'craptastic' points in something I can use EVERY fight, either on me or my Warrior tank.
toothdecaykills wrote:I'm focusing on survivability. As my guild progresses and gains more DPS, and their threat continues to grow, I'm not certain if mine will keep pace. As we progress through Ulduar, nearly everything I'll be focusing on is ways for me to survive an encounter, and my threat WILL lag behind because I won't be gearing for it. Will this threat cap my DPS? I hope not, but the likelihood exists. You may think this is somewhat hypocritical, particularly given the nature of 'survival' and what Divinity offers. In this case I need to make a trade off, and the points I would put in Crusade, Divine Sacrifice and Divine Guardian, I feel, are much better spent for an overall tank than points in Divinity.
This is, of course, just my feeling. You have yours, which, for all I know, might even be more valid. I don't think we'll see data (or read common examples) on which is superior until further in Ulduar. For the moment, lets just continue to disagree so we can get the most information possible =D
toothdecaykills wrote:Divinity does not affect your raid, only you, but Divine Sacrifice would be a fantastic tool to mitigate this high raid damage you speak of, which, by the way, hardly means your tank is safe with a 5% stronger set of HoTs on him while you focus on other people. If that were true, then this fight sounds more like a joke than anything progression oriented.
toothdecaykills wrote:Perhaps we'll wait to comment on the Guild Breaker until experienced and geared players are ready to take him on. You could technically say that about all of Ulduar, but this guy isn't exactly intended to be fought the moment you walk into the instance, and his mechanics truly don't have much to do with this FAQ, though I can see where Divinity might come into play. Remember this is a raid, not a 'paladinwith24otherpeople', and I feel like utility counts for a lot.
Zironic wrote:While I'm not maintanking sarth either(we got a druid for that) I was trying to underline the kind of mechanic where you want something such as divinity.
Zironic wrote:the equation is rather easy.
Are you threat capped Yes/No.
No-> Get Divinity
Yes->Get crusade
Considering I have 7-8k TPS I won't be threatcapped for quite some time in Ulduar.
And even if I was threatcapped for whatever reason, I'd still spec Divinity and tell my dps to find their freakin' FD/Vanish/Soulshatter/Invisibility buttons, I'd also ask my 2-3 hunters to get me some misdirects, threat problem solved.
Zironic wrote:He won't be safe, he'll be safer. It gives more survivability in a 25 man raid then anything else you can spend the points on.
Zironic wrote:As I said in some other thread, I think that Divine Sacrifice will be a useful talent in 10 mans, however in 25 mans the damage is just too much so it won't do much useful. So sure if you're the tank in a 10 man raid go DS/DG, however if you're the progression tank in a 25 man guild with a holy paladin then divinity all the way.
toothdecaykills wrote:
It is limited to 150% of my hp, so roughly 61.5k damage. Quick and fast heals could easily overcome this, as well as your own well timed Lay on Hands.
toothdecaykills wrote:I fear it might not be that easy. But if it is, I hereby give you leave to say "I told you so".
toothdecaykills wrote:A decent example, but I wonder if Ulduar has these moments. Most of the fights I tested (particularly Mimiron, Hodir, and Iron Council) had huge amounts of damage that was usually part of a mechanic you could expect or was telegraphed to you before it occurred. This isn't avoidable damage and is often times where the healers need to play smart. Spamming won't do, but being ready for these bursts is where its at. You're going to be healed or you're going to die and you'd be hard pressed to show how 5% extra healing routinely saves you. Unfortunately, my argument is starting to sound more like "don't get divinity" when it should be "this is its faults compared to X".
First 3 points have to be spent on either Divinity, DS, DG and Imp HoJ to get further down the tree, I might go 2/5 Divinity and 1/1 DS here, then you have 18 points left that some people would go and get crusade with, I'd argue that the better choice is to spend the 3 points in crusade on Divinity.
toothdecaykills wrote: The second phase of Mimiron was pretty hefty in the raid damage, but I still managed to aid my raid through DS as long as a strong healer was ready for it. After the fight, I asked them how they felt about it. Although my Holy Paladin cried himself to sleep because I consistently gave him a heart attack, they all agreed on one thing. It allowed them to focus on their strengths. The strong single target healers were not expected to heal anybody but me while the stronger raid healing classes could handle the lessened incoming damage a lot easier.
It is limited to 150% of my hp, so roughly 61.5k damage. Quick and fast heals could easily overcome this, as well as your own well timed Lay on Hands.
I can prove Divinity is useless very easily: We're the only tanking class who have it.
+5% heals per second is basically useless, because heals per second being bigger than damage received per second is useful over and incredibly narrow range than runs from Zero health to Maximum health (maybe 40k?).
Divinity is only useful if your current health is more than <size of boss hit> above zero (so the next hit won't kill you) but also more than <size of big heal> less than max health, so it isn't overheal. The big heals I receive seem to be about 15k. The big hits are also 15k. I have ~ 38k health.
Re Zirionic's comment saying "Divinity is 160 sellpower, and therefore rocks" - that's also wrong. Once content gets hard, healers start stacking crit and haste, not spellpower. Adding spellpower gives diminishing effectiveness - what matters is how fast you can pump out a heal, not how big it is. And a crit is monumentally more beneficial than a few hundred extra points of base healing due to crit-based procs for everyone (except trees?). Mana return for pallies and Shaman, armour boost from shaman and priests.
If Divinity was "+5% crit on heals received" or "you give +5% haste to someone who casts a heal on you" it would be a merely "poorly thought out" talent of minimal usefulness, rather than actually useless.
I've done 8 tiers of raiding content - everything except classic Naxx, and every boss as a real progression kill except Ouru, Huhu, Twin Emps, C'Thun in Classic and Muru/KJ in Sunwell (both "first week of 3.0" kills). I've done 5 tiers as a tank. I can't think of a single fight where tank death is an issue AND tank is not getting massive overheals. If tank death is an issue, you heal the tank enough that he stops dying. Then you heal the raid enough that they stop dying. Then you use whatever is left over to kill the boss. There aren't any exceptions, given people don't stand in the fire.
Jasari wrote:I think the key point Zironic made is that you have to look at Divinity in the context of what it's up against. You have to take 3 points in the first half of the prot tree and the available options are: Divine Sac/Gaurdian, imp Hammer, Reckoning. It's hard to make an argument that any of those talents are very good outside of very specific scenarios.
Knaughty wrote:Oh, and I will incorporate a lot of the stuff from the last four pages in the first page, just a bit busy with RL right now.