I was once a big fan of avoidance, and I have a long article written with some math that proves that avoidance is better. After about 5 hours of hard work on those queue systems and markov chains, the conclusion was so obvious: math will always tells us avoidance is better if you define "better" as "damage reduction". As gear scales, avoidance gives increasing results and armor gives diminishing (the life expectancy result didn't matter in my approach), and eventually you will reach a point of 100% avoidance, where you get immune to physical damage. Mathematically modeled, a 100% avoidance tank is better than a 100 million HP tank simply because the HP is finite and needs mana to heal, and mana is finite too. (not counting spells of course)
Then I realized, omg how obvious, World of Warcraft is not World of Mathcraft. I cannot model WoW perfectly without reprogramming the game entirely, and playing it with real people, because real people are not mathematical constructs, they fail, they are not deterministic, etc, etc, etc
So, I started to think differently: down to earth, my gear is constrained, and it already comes stacked with armor, stamina, defense, dodge. My choices are not open, Blizzard did 90% of them. The few options I have are on gems/enchant, either stamina or avoidance.
I chose to stack stamina because Kungen (back to the original topic

) did so, and because people I respect like Ciderhelm and Satrina promoted it so much, and I became an HP/Armor powerhouse, and it works. Gemming avoidance works as well I'm sure, and a real boss battle is very far from being determined by the tank gem choices, and much more by group tactics, raid members not making individual mistakes, being prepared, not taking a disconnect, and so on.
As much as the understanding the game mechanics might entertains us who love it, and I REALLY love to lurk in forums during work hours while my boss is away, in the end it doesn't make much of a difference in terms of game play results, and that is why its common to see many top tanks in top guilds who can't answer basic game mechanics questions.