Skip to content
Maintankadin

How do you explain your lower health?

Wolvar
Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:12 am
I'd rather they not increase our health. Gives more ammunition to warriors to complain about our superior mitigation.
_________________
Serelynn
Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:56 am
We have plenty of advantages.

We take the steadiest and arguably least amount of damage in a number of boss fights. We have a nice health pool that scales very well with stamina, by T8 I expect we'll be a bit ahead of warriors in the same gear. We can front load threat generation like no other class, and sustain threat at the same level or higher than other classes. If as a paladin tank, you have Pursuit of Justice, the movement speed bonus is a significant advantage in some fights.

The problem is that some people still have the warrior tank mentality stuck in their heads. However, if you look at many newer guilds, you'll see druids or paladins as the guild MT.
_________________
Serelynn - 80 Protection Paladin of Abaddon

"I've come to the conclusion that I'm not actually living. I'm just killing time." - tiny ghosts
Rehlachs-
Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:04 am
I wouldn't say that we are superior to other tanks. at least I am on par with my warrior tanks (our current feral is *I won't say such things in publicity* and our dk normally is dps specced). since I'm Horde most of my warriors are Tauren and have more hp than I got - I don't care the feral, but the DK's hps are like.. damned high.

probably I was stuck in a trash whore-role too long during the T5&T6 content. I'm concerned that paladins can't tank/are bad tanks for important bosses.
_________________
Tetanie @ Mannoroth-EU
Koprolalie @ Mannoroth-EU
calthas
Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:15 am
Lower health is indeed a wrong issue. The issue is people understanding how tanking works Wink

We started using a tankadin when facing morogrim (for murlocs duty), and the guy hasn't changed his spec since then. He ended up main tanking Illidan pre-patch. I joined him back a few weeks ago, and am perfectly accepted as a real tank. For instance I was asked to tank Saphirron instead of our (more experienced MT). Being on off-duty doesn't bother me (yet ?) as I like observing what's going on (Sparks on Malygos for instance).

Do your best to be in the right place at the right time, show your leaders WWS reports that point out your mitigation, etc.
_________________
Equitas
Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:30 am
I sit at 30600HP unbuffed. I dont explain my lower health Razz I dominate Razz
_________________
I am filled with Rage.... and cupcakes!!!
Frickit
Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:44 am
armor and avoidance are kinda important too
_________________
Equitas
Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:18 am
24K + Armor with aura
20.92% Dodge
18.04% Parry
18.67% Block

With about 1400 Blockvalue unbuffed without libram.

Raidbuffed about 2300 with libram.

So yeah.. id say my stats are pretty good, ofcourse i could reduce myself to 28K HP and go for 24% dodge 20% parry and a tad more blockrating.

But its really unnecessary, we used to run with 8 healers, now we run naxx with 6 healers and they still dont go oom and overheal me constantly.

So id rather go with the extra 4K HP rather than going for 4% more avoidance.

Oh and on saphiron, or Kel thuzad when suddenly the Tank dies and i have to tank 4 Adds or Kel thuzad + 2 adds that extra stamina is worth so much more than relying on RNG.

4% avoidance isnt always there, 4K hp is.

Saphiron can hit extremely hard and potent. The sheer amount of stupid wipes those extra hp prevented is amazing Razz
_________________
I am filled with Rage.... and cupcakes!!!
Thels
Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:32 am
I practically never have it asked. Too many tankadins on my server. People compare my HP to that of other tankadins and DK's, so it's all fine and dandy. Rarely do they see a warrior tank, and even more rarely a Bear.
_________________


Zoe's guide to building your tankadin