This is definitely one of the best threads I have seen on this forum, and I think I have read 90% of them.
Speaking from a pure-gut sense, I generally agree with the concept of balance and I think that pure stacking of stamina leads to situations where you are like a druid at the armor cap with high stamina. You have tons of HP and are unlikely to die to spike damage, but you are a bitch to heal because you require constant healing.
The random chance for the tank to insert a dodge or parry or miss into an attack sequence can be understood in a slightly simpler way. Essentially, I would say it is required to occassionally avoid an attack. WoW tanks do not seem designed to take consecutive hits. Tank versus boss encounters are supposed to be littered with periodic avoidance. It is all a function of time (including healer cast time). The sad thing is not so much that you cannot predict how often you can get random dodge (that is essentially the percentage anyways), but when. You could get all your dodges at the start of the fight and the end, but none in the middle, etc. While I generally side with EH, I do think EH is flawed as a function of time. You HAVE to avoid some attacks. Think of it this way. Define the attack sequence as the time between avoided attacks, and you will see what I mean. Although I would still point out that still means an attack sequence could cross over among multiple avoided attacks, all varying based on the time required for the tank to return to full health, taking into account incoming heals (regardless of predicted incoming damage I would add).
It is not having more or less avoidance for encounters, it is having the correct amount (outside of the correct EH) that balances the random avoided attacks into the middle of blocked attacks so as to both provide the necessary inter-heal buffer as well as not gimp threat and increase the number of times that spikiness happens (whether that be an avoidance streak or a lack of one). But again, what I am trying to say here, is that even in the case of having proper EH, you absolutely still must have the randomly avoided attacks. I speak about that from a healer perspective. All this talk about healers chain casting and 5 seconds is theorycrafting that I personally do not agree with.
Maybe that makes me a bad healer, maybe it doesn't, but personal experience in many fights like Illidan and Shahraz or Archimonde let me see that at least 1 out of 4 attacks (or something to this effect barring exact math) as a typical attack sequence HAS to be avoided to beat the encounter, assuming decent, yet imperfect, EH.
You can all argue that more avoidance increases spikiness, but I would still say that just like minimum EH there is a minimum necessary avoidance to avoid having 4 hits in a row occur, which WILL kill tanks because your concept of "5 healers sitting here doing nothing else but perfectly timed chain casted mana efficient heals" never happens except in "easy fights". "Survive 5 seconds without heals" is a bad concept, because in all honestly, it is a variation between "survive 1 second without heals" and "survive almost 10 seconds without direct large heals". Those are the two end points, not some random BS in the middle of it average time, from a healer perspective.
Edit: ok after a break from my rambling I think I figured out what I want to say in a simpler fashion. From a healer perspective, when designing raid class distribution and role distribution and healing targets, the minimum HPS required to have enough mana to end the fight with 0 mana as the boss dies requires the tank to have a decent amount of avoidance assuming a less than perfect EH.
_________________
http://www.ardentdefender.com - A combat log parsing API