Skip to content
Maintankadin

block capped overrated?

Kalakaua
Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:52 pm

block capped overrated?

I see a lot of posts talking about how pallies should still be trying to get to 102.4%, but I disagree. Being block capped is nice, but I think it's a bad idea to start talking about it as a "goal".

When people think of being block capped as a goal, they will make bad choices in evaluating gear. Since the majority of people are more familiar with the level 70 gear, I'll use that as an example. The roughly 2% dodge at lvl 70 from Moroes Trinket is much better than the 4% block from Figurine of the Colossus if crushing blows is not a factor. However, many new tankadins will choose the figurine because it contributes much more to reaching that "magical" 102.4%.

Tank gear should be evaluated based on what it contributes to overall effective health and/or avoidance. If you end up block capped, great, but I just don't think it's worth it if you have to sacrifice anything to get there.
Guillex
Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:00 pm
I can't recall ever seeing somewhere saying that being Block Capped (which, by the way, is just the new term for uncrushable...) is a goal, and that we need to be looking at getting it again.

All focus should be on being Defense capped first, and then working on what one needs to be better for progressing.
_________________
Póg mo thóin

Majiben
Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:27 pm
We acknowledge that being block capped is not a preraid goal but you should certainly be there by the end of T7.

Paladins and warriors are blocking for a lot more these days.

With 2k BV failing to block hits of the following size is an increase in damage by X%

Kalakaua
Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:23 pm
I never said that being block capped was bad, just that you shouldn't give more weight than normal to an item just because it will make you block capped. If 2% dodge is better than 4% block when you're at 75% avoidance, 2% dodge should still be better than 4% block at 98.4% avoidance.

Now, whether or not 2% dodge is actually better than 4% block when you have 2000+ BV is a subject of another thread.
Majiben
Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:34 pm
You seem to be stuck in an avoidance tanking mindset. I would choose mitigation over avoidance anyday. Others liked avoidance so much that blizzard felt the need to punish them twice (sunwell and diminishing returns). Honestly for what you could get 2% dodge, you could get 5% block easily.

It's a goal. Not preraid but by the end of T7 that all paladins should meet or really take a hard look at rerolling.
_________________
Majiben
If we wanted Ret to be a joke, we would have just left the tree as it was, and maybe kicked it a little for good measure. -GC
Knaughty
Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:48 pm
Block Value is hugely significant mitigation, which makes rating much more powerful at 80 than it was at 70.

Probably a best case: But doing Loatheb-10 as a freshly dinged level 80:

• 1.1k BV with zero emphasis.
• 2k hits.
• 900-ish damage through BV.

Getting block capped at that particular fight is your second gearing goal after crit immune.
_________________
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum.
Knaughty
Naxx-25 15/15 pre-buff
Kalakaua
Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:02 pm
I agree that block rating is much more effective now than it was pre-3.0. I just wasn't sure if getting capped makes block rating worth more than the same amount of block rating at a lower avoidance level.
Ulushnar
Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:44 pm
OF course block capped is a goal. I don't think it's a requirement, but it's definately something nice to aim for. Unmitigated hits make me a sad Alabaster God.
_________________
Blog


Do you use your powers for Good, or for Awesome?
Worldie
Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:47 pm
Getting block capped allows you to count your block value in your EH.

Hence it increases your EH by over 1k, more than 2k if you are actually T7+.

With naxx gear (expecially those few pieces with plenty of BR), you can get the block cap easily, and still be very close before even entering naxx.
_________________

Uord - Prot Warrior
Darkworldie - Death Knight

Tanking... srs business
Dork
Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:30 am
Hit block cap today, actually at 103.78 when using my mitigation sword. It's not hard to get and I love knowing that I'm going to block 1500 any attack that gets through to me.
_________________
Dork <Audacious> of Magtheridon
Tbolt
Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:30 am
I was thinking about this as I was taking regular hits in heroic pinacle today, and it made me quite sad. I very much miss being block capped and with the BV as it is now, it is a huge reduction in incoming damage. While not a requirement as many have said I will be striving to get as close as possible before naxx.
_________________