Skip to content
Maintankadin

Avoidance Ratings

Neroth
Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:27 pm

Avoidance Ratings

I am currently in the position that I see alot of people in. I'm level 80 running Heroics for gear/rep and I'm heading to Naxx this weekend.

I'm currently running heroics as ret until my healer wife can hit 80 this weekend so I'm not exactly sure what my protection spec stats are.

However, I do know that I'm sitting at 555 defense and estimate that I'm at about 21k health unbuffed as prot spec.

Since I'm uncrittable I'm now in the process of aiming for 102.4 and getting my effective health up. As I look at my choices for gear (drop and badge), enchants, and gems I'm fighting myself over what stats are most effective at getting me to block capped.

I've searched the forum but I have not yet seen a simple and concise list of how 1 point of each stat contributes to your total damage reduction.

My question:

If I'm looking at my Tankadin2 addon and I see that my miss + block + Dodge + Parry is at 80% (not sure what my real number is)..... How much would 1 point in each of the following stats affect that total percent avoidance number?

Defense -

Dodge -

Block Rating -

Parry -

Agility -

Strength - ( I think the answer to this is zero because it only adds block value, but wanted to be sure.)

I know that dodge and parry are subject to DR that kick in somewhere around 25%, and that parry is almost always worse than Dodge. I'm just looking for a decent general number that I can use to help me evaluate the different gear choices out there vs what I have.

I know that I won't reach block capped status until somewhere in Naxx but as i evaluate gear choices I want to know how each stat will affect me.
MilaMan
Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:52 pm
As per some site that I don't remember:

Each of these equals 1% at level 80:

Expertise 32.79
Defense 4.92 (since defense isn't a percent, I'm not sure what this means...I'm guessing 4.92 defense rating = 1 point of defense on your character sheet?)
Resilence 81.98
Dodge 39.35
Parry 49.19
Block 16.40
Hit 32.79 (however, spell hit is 26.23)
Crit 45.91
Haste 32.79
Armor Penetration 15.40
_________________
Chcknbcnrnch - 70 Dwarf Paladin
Ghostlands
GM <Sammich>
Neroth
Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:22 pm
thats the big question I haven't seen yet.


How much defense does it take at lvl 80 to get 1 % avoidance?
Majiben
Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:30 pm
40.83 defense rating before diminishing returns (which hit miss quite hard).
_________________
Majiben
If we wanted Ret to be a joke, we would have just left the tree as it was, and maybe kicked it a little for good measure. -GC
Neroth
Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:51 am
So in summary:

For 1% total avoidance in trying to get to 102.4%


Block Rating- 16.4 (Cheapest stat to get to 102.4, but once you are block capped the other stats become way better)
Dodge - 39.35 (Subject to DR)
Defense Rating - 40.83 (Subject to DR but split across DR for Miss,Dodge, and Parry)
Parry - 49.19 (Worse stat but due to DR is viable after around 600 Dodge Rating)

So:

Block is by far the best for getting blocked capped.

Dodge and Defense are fairly equal but as seen in the chart in another post... You want to keep dodge and defense fairly equal but as your avoidance gets higher you will start to see defense become a slightly better stat.


Is this correct?
harlekin
Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:12 am
Defense and dodge are roughly equal once you are block capped. You should keep them fairly balanced to minimize DR effects. Parry is pretty bad, but small amounts of it are good for maximizing your avoidance. I'd say with ~700 def rating and ~700 dodge rating, you should have around 50 parry rating for min-maxing. (So yes, once you're uncrittable and block capped, dodge is the best avoidance stat until it roughly equals your defense rating)

Until you are block capped the hierarchy is like this:
Block rating > Defense Rating > Dodge Rating > Parry Rating

Once you are block capped, use my spreadsheet from the "Defense or Dodge" thread. We're still not positive on the DR for miss, but it should be in the ballpark.

To be honest, unless you're an unholy death knight, there's probably a lot to be said for stacking EH once you're block capped, though you're starting to get into the more complicated TTL discussions at that point. (unholy DKs value avoidance more than other specs for bone shield uptime)
_________________
Shadow Council - US - Horde
Xandreth (70) - Prot Paladin - MT
Tyrenn (80) - Frostfire Mage
Saege (70) - Resto Druid in training
Tronden
Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:06 am
Soooo... I was thinkin. If we get block capped with block rating and then gem for strength and get block value... wouldnt that be best all around? Not that there is enough itemization to do so, but wouldnt it be nice to have 4-5000 block value and block 75% of the time? especially with sanctuary where they get holy damage each time they hit regardless of how many charges are left on your holy shield.

I know that if it was possible, I would do it. I dont want to eliminate damage (I still want some spiritual attunement) I just want to muffle it. This and I want to create threat.

eh. I dunno. Not sure why I am even writing this post. but hell, it is something I think about, so yeah - tear it apart Wink
_________________
Tronden of Runetotem (US)
Guildmaster <Guardians of Azeroth>
Xanthoren
Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:32 pm
Blessing of Sanctuary does not reflect holy damage any more on blocks. It is simply damage reduction and mana-return