Skip to content
Maintankadin

Indestrucible Potions

Cidx
Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:25 pm

Indestrucible Potions

Are Indestructible Potions worth keeping stacks of over Health/Mana Potions?

I'm trying to tell my raid leader that says if I don't have them I can not tank, when I tell him the "Oh shit" usage of Runic Healing Potions out way the usage of these Armor potions. I know you can use them before the fight but thats 60 seconds you can't use your Oh Shit potion, and counting how many times an average guild wipes the 2mins and potions go down faster than if we just chugged them when we needed them.

So, who here thinks they're still needed over Runic Healing potions so I don't waste all my time farming the mats?
HinataDestiny
Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:50 pm
Oh shit pot > all I would rather OOM and swtich to SotM than burn a pot sickness
_________________
Hinata of Crit Happens - 80 - Arygos

Ashmadai
Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:39 am
I use Indestructible on every boss fight. I would rather take less damage over the course of 2 minutes than possibly save my own ass with a healing pot. As long as your gear isn't terribad or you're crittable or something like that, it's on the healers to heal you, not you. You can use Lay on Hands to heal yourself in an emergency, but to my mind Indestructible > Runic Healing for a tank.
_________________
Majiben
Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:45 am
On any boss that has an enrage, armor pots are highly recommended. On others it's hard to justify pot use on bosses without peroids of inreased damage.
_________________
I made a port to exodar. My friend proceeds to MD Alar onto the AFK tank, and we both run. People ran with us, until the port, and realised it was to exodar. Only three of us went through. Turns out people would rather die than go to exodar. -Infurnus
Eanin
Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:00 am
Use the indestructible pot while you're not in combat, then you can use another pot later.
_________________
Mithos
Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:29 pm
I'm burning my Ironshield stack in everyway I can >.<, whilst stocking up Indestructibles for Ulduar and beyond. Spare Ironshields work wonders whilst trying for some of the harder achievements.

It's hard to justify it on the raid content atm, but if you need it for whatever reasons, I would always use an armour pot in almost all cases. Ofc on things like Heigan etc, Health pot will save your ass as armour is not really an issue, but taking consistantly less damage is usually far better than people able to save your ass on 1 time use, thats what healthstones are for imo. (yeah they share seperate CDs, but still).
_________________

aka
Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:05 am
what's obvious is that an healing pot will heal you for 4K (15% of your life, it can save you, but it's still less than a single hit from a boss), an indestructible pot will increase the flat mitigation from armor by 2%. given a boss were you're taking about 10KDPS, you're taking 200 damage less per second, that's a 24K over 2 minutes (and I think that on really hard hitting bosses, you're taking wayyyy more that 10KDPS... or maybe just more Very Happy )
_________________
Akadurgrim (Ysondre EU) <Wild>
Tankadin/healadin/retadin
Mex
Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:53 am
The problem here is basically that you can't have them up 100% of the time. With ironshields in TBC, hell yeah chug on everything always, because it was a permanent 2.5k extra armour.

I considered using these on Patchwerk, but then I thought, "well, if it makes the difference between my healers keeping me up and letting me die, then as soon as it wears off I'll die, so what's the point?"

Now yes, that is a massively oversimplified way of looking at it, but imo it does have some merit. One way or another, your healers will have to spend the majority of the fight healing you without the pot buff up. With downranking gone, they're pretty much going to be using the same spell on you; they won't be able to adjust if you're taking 3% less damage or however much it is.

When I use ironshields (I've been getting rid of the ones I had left over from TBC), I do it during hectic parts of the fight, or when healers are likely to be strained the most (ie a druid has to stop healing to battle res, or when several raid members cop a flame wave all at once), or during end of fight "soft-enrages", such as KT and the Guardians of Icecrown with their gradually ramping damage, or Loatheb's ever increasing impending doom usage (fun fact, with an armour pot popped, on 10 man Loath I can full block his hits with obstruction up!), or sometimes just when they're likely to be oom (end of Saph with perhaps a few raid members being slow at moving out of blizzards).

I think we're going for 3 minute patchwork (with 4 healers!) this week, so I may use some then, but imo they're in no way necessary for standard clears.
Snake-Aes
Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:09 am
I see them as interesting to use in the same manner you would with certain trinkets and emergency cooldowns. They alleviate harder to manage situations, like the pull, where the healer may be a second too late, or a soft enrage or a special attack that will hit exceptionally hard.
-edit: lawl palindrome post.
_________________
Death Spacegoat and Spankadin in development.
Definitely not Konata-chan.
PsiVen
Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:15 am
It's not about making the difference between your healers keeping you up and letting you die. It's about making it less likely for you to die in such a way that's unavoidable. Even if you fail to pre-drink and only end up with the buff up 1/3 of the time, it's still a net reduction in the chance to wipe due to your death that attempt.
_________________
Gladiator Psiven, 80 Tankadin
Bloodsail Admiral Psivenia, 70 Warrior
70 Belfadin, 62 Druid, 60 Priest, 60 Warlock

Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
cordelia
Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:36 am
Oh-Shit button FTW:

#No tooltip needed here, choose an icon you will remember.
/use Fel Healthstone
/use Master Healthstone
/use Runic Healing Potion
/use Super Healing Potion
/use 13


13 is top trinket slot, where I typically have a dodge on-use, altho I recently picked up Repelling Charge, and now have an extra +3000 max_hp on-use there.

Guaranteed wipe saver if you get it off in time.
Of course, it does use a lot of your oh-shit buttons all at once.
But it does save the big two for later: DP & LoH.
On big boss fights, I find that the real times I say OH SHIT, I'm LOW, are few and far between, so rather overdo the wipe saving protection than underdo it.

I also recently picked up the Monarch Crab, which is wonderful, I say. It's usable every other pull in heroics, every pull in raid trash, and several times during a boss fight. In a boss fight, I'll trigger it anytime I see myself <50> keybinding FTW: Z: above oh-shit button, Shift-Z Bubble & Cancel Macro, Ctrl-Z: LoH, Shift-Q: Divine Protection, Ctrl-Q: Monarch Crab, Option-Q: Repelling Charge. The "Z"'s are my oh-shit buttons, the "Q"'s are my pre-emptive mitigation buttons. ("Q" is just consecrate).
_________________