Skip to content
Maintankadin

WOTLK Ideal professions

aleyona
Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:41 pm

WOTLK Ideal professions

So, after taking a good long look at my character I've come to the conclusion that I want to change my professions. Currently I'm leveling a death knight to act as my farmer so I should have no issue maintaining two professions.

As of now I've come to the conclusion, that Blacksmithing is a given. Two additional sockets, and the ability to craft any future BoP items offered is just indispensible.

The debate is currently between Jewelcrafting and Enchanting. Here's the comparison that I've come up with.

Jewelcrafting:
- PRO - 51 Stamina gain over gathering (41x3-24x3) based on having 41 stam gems.
- PRO - Ability to craft your own gems, and gems for your guild
- PRO - Profitable market, possible the largest in the game
- PRO - Jewelcrafting only trinkets
- PRO - Jewelcrafting specific dailies
- CON - Extremely expensive / time-consuming to level up
- CON - For maximum profit requires a lot of raw materials, or profit margin reduced significantly

Enchanting:
- PRO - 48 stamina gain over gathering (24x2=4Cool based on stamina enchant for ring
- PRO - Ability to enchant your own gear
- PRO - Ability to disenchant your gear when it is replaced
- PRO - Not needing to look for an enchanter for heroics
- PRO - Profitable market, possibly second best in game
- CON - Required to farm for recipes
- CON - Requires low-level instances farming / lots of gold to level up

Initially I was leaning towards Jewelcrafting for the raw stamina difference / boost; Now I'm leaning towards enchanting because the difference is marginal at best.

I'm interested in everyone's opinions on this.
_________________
Aleyona of Srs Bsns.
This post is flame-proof. Why? Because I really don't care what you think or say!
amh
Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:46 pm
Enchanting shares "- CON - Extremely expensive / time-consuming to level up" with JC.

If you're considering utility too, enchanting wins out simply because you can actually disenchant stuff. Nothing more annoying than doing a run where everything gets vendored instead of sharded.
_________________
Kieras <- armory
Proud cook of Savory Deviate Delight
amh
Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:47 pm
Also:

HinataDestiny
Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:27 pm
Personally the JC/BS combo is the best overall ideal set for any class because

1. JC only gems
2. JC trinkets
3. After all patterns bought from dailies, JC have an infinite money flow from the Dragon's Eyes
4. 3 extra sockets on your gear
5. ability to make your own crafted gear
6. ability to unlock any lockbox or chest you come along
7. ability to make the rods enchanters spam tradechat for

I see money flow + benefits
_________________
Hinata of Crit Happens - 80 - Arygos

fuzzygeek
Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:19 pm
BS/JC synergize very well. Depending on your progression, JC may last you for a very long time.

JC makes a ton of money. Ench typically does not.

Currently I think JC has a significant edge over Ench, especially when paired with BS, but the conventional wisdom is that JC's lead diminishes over time.
_________________
Trixia
Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:50 pm

Re: WOTLK Ideal professions

Mining isn't that bad of a tank profession eigther...

In the next patch, 450 mining will give +50 STA

which will eventually be the largest STA gain out of all of the professions.

JC's extra STA loses ground signifigantly once epic gems are introduced, that have +30 STA, bringing the bonus from JC to only +33 STA Once EPIC gems are found in WoTLK.

It also beats out the +48STA from Enchanting, but not by much. The additional utility of enchanting may out weigh the benefits of 2 more STA.

Gathering isn't that bad thou. Especially if you have an epic mount on that char. You can gather like 3x as fast. Wheras if you gather on an alt. you may have to invest 5k + 1200 for Frost Flight + Mounts + Level 77

Your mileage may vary... But Mining + Smithing work really well together for tanks.
Threatco
Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:08 am
JC/ BS sounds good. We all love synergie.

But I call it the /slit wrists combo.

I am very happy with my Enchanting/Mining. I did not know until theprevious post that the buff was changing for mining to 50 stamina. Thats epic.

DEing, Enchanting your own gear is a convienience I would hate to lose. And mining is serious money. And Enchanting tips on on my server are typicaly 10g.
_________________

Limitation strictly defined by motivation - Edan
Warning. I edit my posts.
Naitaeti
Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:01 am
I concur with JC/BS.

I'll stick with Eng/BS though, spent too much gold and effort on eng to give it up now and the goggles will serve me well until I get one of the naxx drops. JC trinkets can be replaced but the I have to admit that I'd like those prismatic gems.
_________________
aleyona
Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:53 am

Re: WOTLK Ideal professions

Ayep! I'm pretty sure that I'll be going with the BS/JC combo. Concerning the horrid time and resources involved... I'm actually going to be moving soon and will have almost an entire month off free to do this. After which it will take me a short time to get my schedule set and begin looking for a new guild (major time-zone change).

I'm looking to get the most bank for my buck and intend to do everything I can to be the spotlight for tanking wherever I go.

thx for the help..

and yes... I am confused (want advice & don't care what you say)
_________________
Aleyona of Srs Bsns.
This post is flame-proof. Why? Because I really don't care what you think or say!
Suwabara
Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:28 am
So why is everyone just ignore the 90 stam bracer enchant from LW? Sure they're coming out with a 40 stam bracer enchant next patch, but currently it was the best profession for straight stam. True with the patch you can get 40 stamina and then it's only 50 then it's tied with the highest which is mining.

As far as other benefits oops ran out, there's the AP enchant if you wanted some serious threat? also you can get resist enchants which might be helpful? Then there's cheap leg enchants which isn't really that great. Ok I give up on LW but until they introduced the new bracer enchant, it was king for stamina.


Don't count out the monarch crab yet, when they came out with epic gems last time they also introduced new trinkets which were still pretty sexy. I'm interested to see if they'll just leave it at dragon's eye for gems or if they'll introduce a new epic version for the same +benefit you have not or not.
_________________