Skip to content
Maintankadin

Effective Wrath Gemming

Ziv
Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:00 am

Effective Wrath Gemming

I'm defense capped and blocked capped (raid buffed.) Basically, I feel very compelled to stay the hell away from conventional TBC gemming (stamina) and steer towards what I perceive to be better Wrath gemming (strength.)

My health is about 3-3.5k lower than our Warriors, but I feel that if I'm mitigating every hit, that strength is far more beneficial than stamina.

Am I right? Wrong? Should I mix it up? Is there any Wrath gemming convention that I'm not aware of once you're past the caps? Is this topic theory crafty enough to be here? Razz

Armory link below, though I haven't re-gemmed with upgrades, so it doesn't show what I'm asking.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Fenris&n=Ziv
Worldie
Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:05 am
In a world where threat is not a issue, gemming for Strenght is wrong.

Quite much as gemming for spelldamage was wrong in TBC.


You could gem for avoidance instead of strenght, or gem for stamina. Both would be more effective
_________________

Uord - Prot Warrior
Darkworldie - Death Knight

Tanking... srs business
Ziv
Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:29 am
Hmm, I understand what you're both saying, but I guess I'm thinking about strength as more of a block value booster than a threat stat (since I block the majority of hits.) Well, maybe I have a shine to it because it's more of a jack of all trades kind of thing... Anyway, I digress.

So I guess my next question(s) is would gemming for avoidance to push block further off the hit table be better then? Would I be aiming to throw dodge gems into red sockets a la Sunwell? Even with diminishing returns? Or going defense, stamina/defense? ... Damn you gems!
Ulushnar
Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:32 am
I'd still take a strength/sta gem over a dodge/sta gem in a red slot, but then again, I was a threat whore in tbc and I've quickly become excited by the prospect of actually doing some DPS whilst tanking in Wrath.
_________________
I am a sexy, shoeless God of War!
Worldie
Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:35 am
Diminishing return doesn't mean that avoidance is bad, just means that once you will get around 65%+ total avoidance you'd better gem for stamina / threat since more avoidance will be hard to get.

Gemming for straight dodge is not optimal, defense is the best stat for avoidance since it spreads the DR on 3 stats rather than just one. It also gives you more gear flexibilty.


I personally like stamina gems on blue, def/stam on yellow... and JC stam on red Very Happy
_________________

Uord - Prot Warrior
Darkworldie - Death Knight

Tanking... srs business
Worldie
Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:58 am
They are prismatic, hence they count as 1 red, 1 yellow and 1 blue at same time.

By having 3 of those you effectively got 3 reds, 3 yellows and 3 blues in your gear.
_________________

Uord - Prot Warrior
Darkworldie - Death Knight

Tanking... srs business
Daddytank
Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:59 am
My favourite gems are the Stam/Def gems, but pls dont fall into the same trap i have, i got the 84def trinket from naxx aquiped it, and swapped my def gems for stam ones, now im struggling to find a wat to get rid of the trinket as its such a large part of my defence.

i would recommend these for your gemming.
Red: Expertise/stam (if your expertise capped then go dodge/stam)
Yellow: Def/stam
Blue: Def/stam (if your def capped solid stam is good too)

You will notice my gemming is a little different, i tried something new and i dont like it that much, ive lost alot of flexibility in my gear and im in the process of fixing it.
_________________
degre
Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:25 am
Why would you want to get rid of it?

To be fair is one I like the most.
The parry one is surely worse, and the 2 dodge ones are not appealing to me.
The badge could be in fact a worthy alternative, but to be honest, I''ll stick to defense on a point per point comparison, and the repelling charge use is juicy.
_________________