Skip to content
Maintankadin

Which mitigation stat matters the most now in wotlk?

Zero0018
Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:06 am

Which mitigation stat matters the most now in wotlk?

I know in BC paladins used to go for shield block.

Does it matter anymore or can someone tell me what order I should be getting them in?
Worldie
Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:20 am
"In BC paladins used to go for shield block" is fairly wrong.

Wrong because going for block was useless past uncrushable, and going for block value had relative use since bosses were hitting for far more of the block value (500ish bv, 8k+ melees)



That said, you go for what you need most.
If you feel squishy, stamina.
If you feel getting hit too often, avoidance / block cap.
If you feel getting hit for too much, armor / block value.
_________________

Uord - Prot Warrior
Darkworldie - Death Knight

Tanking... srs business
Zero0018
Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:21 am
I think I have to now go back out (ugh) and get diff gear. I was going off of tank spot's tanking gear guide and it rates them by tankpoints mod, but as I installed the mod myself, it rates gear differently.

I currently have:

26134 HP
24457 Armor
542 defense
21.91% dodge // 17.42% parry // 16.17% block

When you say replace block rating for pure avoidance do you mean go for more +def rating gear over +block rating only?

I'm asking because I notice as I've been replacing my gear I seem to take more dmg now and it's confusing me
Zero0018
Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:07 am
Sigh, I was using:

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/39462-wotlk-tanking-gear-list.html

Ok. So, thanks that's good to know expertise isn't needed. I had no idea.

Would http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?item=37728 be a better choice then for a cape as i had b4 I wasted all that cash on the stupid crafted one.

Also, would http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37186 be better then http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37784 ?

I am also currently using http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37712 as my boots, which I believe are better then http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37618

TY for tip on shoulder's didn't even see those. Going to work towards it.

On another note, is this the correct formula for determining the 104.2 avoidance:

Def: [(rating/2.37)+20]/25*4 = total avoidance from def

Dodge: rating/18.92 + base (this is usually 5% but may be slightly different) = dodge percentage

Parry: rating/22.4 + base (usually 5 or 10%) = parry percentage

Block: rating/7.88 + base (Usually 5%) = block percentage

Miss: base miss of 5% + [(def over 350)-(350)]*.04

Because if that's the case with my numbers I came to this:

542/2.37+20/25*4 = 39.79%
21.91/18.92+5 = 6.15%
17.42/22.4+5 = 5.77%
16.17/7.88+5 = 7.05%
+5 miss = 5%
Total = 63.76
+ 30 (Holy Shield)
= 93.76 %

Also, is there any point in getting your defense past 540? Is this beneficial in any way? Hence, if i'm already @ 542 shouldn't i get hp enchant over +def rating chant on bracers?
Zero0018
Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:24 am
Ok. Thanks.

Another question:

Is there any point in getting your defense past 540? Is this beneficial in any way? Hence, if i'm already @ 542 shouldn't i get hp enchant over +def rating chant on bracers?
Janduin
Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:27 am
Sorry, I saw your question late and just edited into my last post. Here is my response:

540 defense isn't a cap, it's a minimum. It still gives you avoidance and helps toward block cap. I usually go defense on bracers because 12 defense rating is a better use of item points than 16 stam for the same slot (stam is cheap in terms of item points, case in point, you can gem for 24 stam or 16 defense rating). That said, you had better believe that I will be all over the 40 stam enchant when it comes out.
_________________
Zero0018
Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:40 am
Thanks for all your help btw. Also, is there an easier equation or an easier way to get your %? Cause it's hurting my head lol, that also may be because it's 5 am >.>
Zero0018
Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:52 am
Sick thanks I got:

Say's "Need 102.4 for block cap. Currently: 66"

So, apparently I'm not capped for avoidance >.>

Any suggestions I can do?