Skip to content
Maintankadin

Question about stacking percentages

Dokidoki
Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:40 pm

Question about stacking percentages

okay so I know some %s are additive and some are multiplicative but what is the end result for some of these things? Im just really lost.

Stam:
http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=31849
http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=31860
http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=25898

Overall Damage:
http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=20470
http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=25899
http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=31854

Spell:
http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=53585

How do these interact with each other and what is the end result? Are they additive or multiplicative? I am not the shiniest coin in the fountain so if someone could help me out here I would appreciate it Smile.
Gamingdevil
Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:19 am
If I'm not mistaken, the stam talents are additive, so 12% and kings is multiplicative with that, so 1.12*1.10=1.232, an increase of 23.2% total.

Same with damage reduction and Sanct and AD being multiplicative with that.
So 9% (Shield of the Templar + RF) makes 12.27% with sanct.

As a rule of thumb, if something comes from the same source (talents are considered one source) it's additive, else multiply it.

EDIT: by my own reasoning, RF and SotT should be multiplicative...
_________________
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Janduin
Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:08 am
Almost certain everything, including different talents, are multiplicative, though I do not have a source on hand. No "Increases X by Y%" talents have ever been additive with others IIRC.
_________________
Dokidoki
Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:16 pm
so I noticed my strength talents as a death knight are additive, and I have heard multiple times that the stam talents for prot pallys is also additive.

If anyone knows which are which I would greatly appreciate the info. Or rather if this is already old news, if you could point me where to look that would also be great.
_________________
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Blackrock&n=Makkoto
Majiben
Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:21 pm
Currently we haven't looked into it in such a long time that the community really isn't sure.
_________________
Aleph
Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:35 pm
The old rule of thumb was that increasing modifiers were additive so that they did not stack with each other, while decreasing modifiers were multiplicative so that they couldn't reach or go below 0. Not sure if this holds true but I don't see any reason why not, aside from possible exceptions.

i.e. gain 2% and gain 3% = 100%+2%+3% = 105% (instead of 105.06%)
reduce 50% and reduce 60% = 100%*50%*60% = 30% (instead of -10%)