Skip to content
Maintankadin

Glyphs: Avenger's shield?

Harblz
Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:59 am

Glyphs: Avenger's shield?

Has anyone played around with the numbers on this? I mainly MT, and find myself relying on AS less and less for aggro in trash pulls. Thinking it might be worth the extra damage/threat, but don't see where I could free up a major glyph spot (Using judgements, vengeance, and righteous defense)
QuantumDelta
Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:10 am
Unless you don't care about RD - no.

Assuming you use JM and AS every CD the JM glyph wins.
Assuming you use HOTR every CD (especially with a slower weapon cuz of SoV procs) SoV's glyph wins.


Leaving you only with your taunt resist glyph to choose from.
_________________
While the truncheon may be used in lieu of conversation, words will always retain their power.
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.
Harblz
Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:13 am
Yea, didn't think it would end up trumping either glyph. And 8% on RD is just too good to pass up.
Tullock
Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:30 am
My avengers shield glyph adds on average 1500 holy damage per 30 seconds, if i use it on cooldown. You get 3.3 judges in that time on a 969. For the judgement glyph to outthreat the avengers shield glyph your judgements would have to average around 4500 or so.

The reason the judgement glyph is better is because it has no downside, and that it is also a great glyph for ret and still gets some use as holy. But from a threat perspective, it is flat worse than avengers shield.
Tullock
Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:11 am
I seem to recal there being an extra gcd every minute but its been a while since i looked at the perfect rotation. So lets assume that i do have to drop an ability every 30 seconds for avenger shield, and to make the best possible case lets even assume that it isnt judgement, but rather hotr or consecrate.

My hammer hits for About 2k raid buffed, and i think my consecrate ticks for around 280 so it would make more sense to drop hotr for avenger shield. I gain ~1k holy damage every 30 seconds by using a glyphed avengers shield instead of hotr. To get that much of a boost out of ajudgement glyph you would need to be hitting judgements for roughly 3k. So even assuming you drop a skill for avengers shield, and even assuming it isnt our lowest damage attack (judgement) you still gain more threat from the avengers shield glyph than you do from the judgement glyph.

Edit: poor spelling and i really need to change my keyboard batteries, its starting to miss alot of keys ><
QuantumDelta
Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:34 am
I'm pretty sure it'd be judgement you drop, not hotr.

The problem I have with modifying AS as much as that Glyph does, is that it makes it less useful in other situations.

We aoe pretty much all the trash in the game currently, even aoe pull (rather than chain pull) entire rooms, AS is useful as a mediocre HOTR when it's off GCD.
It never really was a boss tanking ability for me. I didn't quite realise you got as much kick outta AS as the equivilent to 1.5k on JMs? It sounds off.
I'll look up some numbers when I'm less dying inspite myself.
Feckin' lurgy, right after new years (hmm wonder how I got that ;P)
_________________
While the truncheon may be used in lieu of conversation, words will always retain their power.
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.
Worldie
Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:49 pm
If DPS keeps scaling as it does now i will love to keep my 9k crits on avenger shield.

Note that RD glyph gets close to useless atm with all the hit on gear.
_________________

Uord - Prot Warrior
Darkworldie - Death Knight

Tanking... srs business
Lore
Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:05 pm
I tried Avenger's Shield glyph for one heroic.

I hearthed out halfway through because I absolutely couldn't stand it.

There isn't an extra GCD every minute, and it is HotR you drop to throw in AS. Personally, I don't bother. I'd rather have 3-target AS than a tiny bit of extra DPS.
_________________
And the emperor still wears no clothes...
moduspwnens
Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:40 pm
Meh, it's alright, but it's not as good as I was hoping.
_________________
Collecting mounts? Check this out.
Moduspwnens - Shattered Hand
Scottzirra
Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:56 pm
In my experience it is better for me to have that front loaded threat on multiple targets during trash, and heroics, then it is for me to add a tiny amount of threat onto a boss pull. I think the glyph would be good for a prot pvp set up. People of course think prot pvp sucks, and i'll admit it is not great but I have a 17% crit chance unbuffed and crit shield slams for 8.5k on the regular in my full tank kit. I have been toying with picking up high str/crit ret gear in slots that do not add BV to see how pvp goes. so far it has been a ton of fun!

But back to the point, I see single target AS being most useful in pvp, sucks for trash, and not needed on single target threat, or you are doing it wrong.


As far as being able to agro a single target ou of a trash group, yes this could be handy, but why bother? For all content currently implemented, I have no trouble aoe tanking it. Not to mention when 3.0.8 drops we have a single target taunt anyway, which essentially replaces the only pve need for the glyph i can see.

I am also on the fence about the judgement glyph. The damage increase is not that substantial, however with the libram of obstruction, I find myself hitting judgement every cooldown, so I am sure that it ends up being more damage over time.

As for the AS glyph adding 1500 damage per throw, this should obviously only be the case in single target situations. Also regarding the judgements needing to avg 4500 to keep up with the AS glyph, and assuming that the AS glyph does add 1500 dmg, and that you can land 3 judgements in the same time, each judgement would only need 500 damage added to it per hit.
Tats
Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:00 pm
exorcism is my third glyph Wink its worked out well.
Mneme
Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:29 pm
I really can't imagine living without Avenger's Shield hitting 3 targets. Seeing 3 enraged Lava Blazes spawn in a fire wall, and head straight for a healer, only to have them get ping-ponged by my shield is the greatest thing ever.
_________________
There are few who deny at what I do I am the best,
For my talents are renowned far and wide.
fuzzygeek
Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:43 pm
I miss the crazy range on AS bounce. I would buy an increased range glyph in a heartbeat.
_________________