Skip to content
Maintankadin

An Odd Threat Issue

Elderin
Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:57 am

An Odd Threat Issue

Has anyone else discovered that they are pulling down too much threat?

I know it sounds odd, but it's now to the point where I can't even off-tank anymore.

Last week, we were doing 25-Man OS and the MT (a Warrior) was tanking the dragon and I was getting adds. When there were no adds, I was attacking the boss. I get the warning from Omen and I had to back off. Even after backing off for a time, I still almost pulled threat.

This weekend, I was one of the OT for a 25-Man Naxx. We were going after Patchwerks and again, I pulled threat from the MT. One shield slam and a hammer of righteous and I was tanking Patchwerks.

And these aren't scrub tanks. Both of them were tanking bosses in Hyjal and BT for a long time.

It just seems that my threat is a lot higher than anyone does. I can pull down 4-5K threat without using Holy Shield or Consecration.

Is that normal? Are Paladins now the high threat tank (as well as the AoE tank)?
_________________
Elderin - Paladin (Protection) - Whisperwind
Consecration is my crowd control
xstrykr
Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:02 am
Using Judgement of Light to off-tank will surely push your threat up high enough that you may overtake the main tank.
_________________

Me: 15/15 Naxx-10, Arch-10, Sarth+0-10, Arch-25
xstrykr
Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:10 am
Not sure then - it's very possible that your rotation is just pushing out more TPS faster than the MT is generating it.

I think it was also said that Patchwerk also ADDS threat to whoever is hit with the Hateful Strike. That could also explain it.

On the dragons though... not sure what else could go wrong. I do admit that I don't have much in the way of 25man experience, so if I'm coming off as spewing old info, forgive me Embarassed
_________________

Me: 15/15 Naxx-10, Arch-10, Sarth+0-10, Arch-25
vya
Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:17 am
I have to remember to click off RF before starting a fight when I'm OT (when it's a non-pally MT Smile ). On sarth, start the fight with RF off, you will be way behind the top dps by the time the first adds come up. Just remember to put it back on right before the adds come out. At that point, even if you go back on the boss the MT should have enough of a threat lead. If you start to catch up when attacking between add waves, Salv yourself right at the end of an add wave.
towelliee
Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:27 am
If you outgear your MT your more then likely going to pull Threat. I am not able to OT Patch even with JoW I have to MT it :/
_________________
Serelynn
Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:03 pm
It's good you aren't using JoL on Patchwerk, his hatefuls add something like 3k TPS to you which can be pretty rough if the MT is having trouble generating threat.

Good gearing really does matter a lot. I was looking at some WWS parses of our warrior tanks and they were getting parry/dodge/miss upwards 20-25% of their specials and I was sitting around 2% before our phantom 3% hit was removed. :\
_________________


"I've come to the conclusion that I'm not actually living. I'm just killing time." - tiny ghosts
Spectrum
Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:31 pm
I have a DK OT I run with. On Patchwerk-10 I generate about twice the threat he does. I let him MT this week and basically all I did was cast SoL, JoL, HS, and SS. Every now and then I'd use ShoR/HotR to catch up to him and then start day dreaming again.

We have ridiculous TPS right now, particularly if you use two ShoR. It's not hard to maintain 4k TPS.

The one place I feel beat is on AE threat on more than 3 mobs. Druids and DKs seem to beat me there.
_________________


No really, I'm not addicted.