Skip to content
Maintankadin

800 armor vs 2% threat

Melathys
Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:57 pm

800 armor vs 2% threat

I went a few pages back, and didn't find this, so here it is.

800 armor is pretty nice, almost like having another piece of plate gear to wear.

2% threat, is well, more threat, which is always nice.


(wish we could have both, like how smithing can add gems w/out messing with enchants)
Worldie
Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:01 pm

Re: 800 armor vs 2% threat

The answer is simple and it is : Depends.

2% threat is definitively good to have on your threat gloves (high hit/bv). 800 armor on your survivabilty gloves. You can't really say which one is *better*.

With such increase in DPS from people, i'm seriously considering keeping 2% threat on gloves (which also adds a tiny bit of parry).
Kalakaua
Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:26 am

Re: 800 armor vs 2% threat

If dps is close to catching you on threat, get 2% threat, if not, get armor. More armor is always good, more threat does nothing if dps is in no danger of pulling aggro.
Folstar
Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:57 am

Re: 800 armor vs 2% threat

Kalakaua wrote:more threat does nothing if dps is in no danger of pulling aggro.


Wrong! It lets you slack off even more. +threat all the way.
Mazater
Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:11 am

Re: 800 armor vs 2% threat

Folstar wrote:
Kalakaua wrote:more threat does nothing if dps is in no danger of pulling aggro.


Wrong! It lets you slack off even more. +threat all the way.

Dead tanks won't benefit from extra threat =P
Isetnefret
Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:44 pm

Re: 800 armor vs 2% threat

More threat gives you more free time to take another bite of your sandwich, or pour another shot.

I was under the impression 800 armor is for engineers only??

If not, I think I'll be going that route when I upgrade my gloves.
Argali
Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:37 pm

Re: 800 armor vs 2% threat

Yes, it is eng only. The other alternative is 240 arm, from LW.
Melathys
Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:11 pm

Re: 800 armor vs 2% threat

yea, engineer only. I went ahead with the 800 armor. As it is, I have a very health lead on threat, and often find myself having to disengage to keep theat low if I'm supposed to be offtanking.

Its easy enough to change these enchants around. I just wish it was like a smithing gem slot, so that we could tinker a piece of gear as well as have an enchant.

I'm currently debating 340haste on use vs 16 crit on boots for my holy set.
Isetnefret
Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:27 pm

Re: 800 armor vs 2% threat

That would be very sweet if it worked like the smithing socket.

However, what if I'm a smith/engineer??

Extra socket + 800 armor + enchant = overpowered...maybe.
thorn
Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: 800 armor vs 2% threat

Isetnefret wrote:More threat gives you more free time to take another bite of your sandwich, or pour another shot.


lol... i just found my new signature for a while. :)
Bundy
Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:41 am

Re: 800 armor vs 2% threat

However, what if I'm a smith/engineer??

Extra socket + 800 armor + enchant = overpowered...maybe


Not quite buddy, the 800 armor counts as a enchant so its one or the other. You could still get 800 armor or the enchant plus the added socket though.
Kelaan
Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: 800 armor vs 2% threat

As others have said: +800 armor for survival gear, +threat for threat gear.
I changed to the 800 armor, and I have not really missed my threat enchant. Ever. My threat usually far enough ahead that it doesn't matter, and the armor is very good mitigation of large physical hits, which there are plenty of in Ulduar. If I'm not the tank whose add is dying first on trash, or if I am tanking a hard hitting boss, I don't really care about threat as much as staying alive. (That said, I am a bit of a threat whore. More is almost never bad.)
Jazmine
Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:28 pm

Re: 800 armor vs 2% threat

I think 2% more threat is too little to matter. Say if your dps is doing 4000 tps and you are also doing 4000 tps, 2% increase is a 80 tps increase. 4000 vs 4080.... its not like a whopping big difference tbh. This isn't like a night and day difference like having on Righteous Fury or not. But most people may think, 2% over the entire duration of the fight will be a lot, right? But what really matters is you can keep the snap aggro ahead of whomever you are trying to be ahead of. If a dps is riding your threat, you are in a situation where you're not generating a sufficient amt. Therefore, you are actually seeking a much bigger gain in threat instead.

Realistically speaking, if dps is already riding ur threat, do you really think a 2% increase is really going to make a big difference? I used to use 2% myself and I swapped to 20agi and I could hardly notice the difference. If dps is going to pull because they don't think, then they are going to pull. There are lots of things people can do. For one, DPS can stop being stupid to seeing happy numbers.

If you want more threat, you are better off changing specs (to having crusade). If you are already in the crusade spec, try wearing better gear (more str/hit/exp).

But: If I was ONLY down to the 800 armor or 2% threat enchant, I'd choose 800 armor. But if I had other choices, I'd do 20agi to gloves for more dodge/crit/armor.
Meloree
Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:43 pm

Re: 800 armor vs 2% threat

2% threat is equivalent to 2 points of crusade for threat in Ulduar. If Crusade is worth it for TPS, so is the enchant.

--
Meloree, <Edge>, Garona
Vedge
Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:04 pm

Re: 800 armor vs 2% threat

Meloree wrote:2% threat is equivalent to 2 points of crusade for threat in Ulduar. If Crusade is worth it for TPS, so is the enchant.



Is it?

P.S i switched 2% treat with 20 agin on gloves. Cant see any difference.