Skip to content
Maintankadin

dodge-parry ratio

Shinigamix
Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:58 pm

dodge-parry ratio

Hi,
I've been searching for a macro, link, formula or something else about dodge parry ratio.
or should we just stack both equally?

thx in advance, shini
lythac
Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:30 pm

Re: dodge-parry ratio

At current avoidance levels Parry should be (roughly) 1% higher than dodge on your char sheet after raid buffs.
Marblehead
Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:46 am

Re: dodge-parry ratio

During WotLK, I have found (probably here in MTadin) a spreadsheet that could be used to calculate the diminishing returns of avoidance stats. Since I really liked it, I modified it to work for Cata too. You can download the spreadsheet here. All you have to do is insert your unbuffed stats and it will spit out all kinds of numbers. What you want is for the numbers in "Lost to DR" cells for dodge and parry to be equal.

Credits for this go to the guy who originally created this during WotLK (unfortunately I don't remember his name) and Theckhd, since all the formulas used are either from the Matlab code or his Armor/Mastery derivation.


Edit: I don't know if there are any compatibility problems with different Excel versions. If so, poke me and I'll try to do something about it.
Galo
Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:20 pm

Re: dodge-parry ratio

I'm getting some calculation errors (using Excel 2007)
Marblehead
Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:36 pm

Re: dodge-parry ratio

Ok then, either try using this one or go to the copy I have in googledocs and try to download it from there.
d503
Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:24 am

Re: dodge-parry ratio

Marblehead wrote:Ok then, either try using this one or go to the copy I have in googledocs and try to download it from there.


Can you make a version of the GDoc that's Save As...-able so we can just use the cloud document?
Marblehead
Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:51 am

Re: dodge-parry ratio

d503 wrote:
Marblehead wrote:Ok then, either try using this one or go to the copy I have in googledocs and try to download it from there.


Can you make a version of the GDoc that's Save As...-able so we can just use the cloud document?

What I wanted to do is to protect the formulas and only allow specific cells to be editable by everyone, but I don't know if it's possible in googledocs. Anyway, I unlocked the spreadsheet. If someone breaks it by mistake, I'll upload it again.
rodos
Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:07 am

Re: dodge-parry ratio

Marblehead wrote:
d503 wrote:
Marblehead wrote:Ok then, either try using this one or go to the copy I have in googledocs and try to download it from there.


Can you make a version of the GDoc that's Save As...-able so we can just use the cloud document?

What I wanted to do is to protect the formulas and only allow specific cells to be editable by everyone, but I don't know if it's possible in googledocs. Anyway, I unlocked the spreadsheet. If someone breaks it by mistake, I'll upload it again.

This is a really annoying thing with Google Docs. AFACT you used to be able to duplicate a read-only spreadsheet, but you can't any more. I think you can protect a sheet, but not a cell range, so if you move all your formulas to another sheet and leave one open for input it's slightly better (but more annoying to use).
mtgeekman
Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:06 pm

Re: dodge-parry ratio

Marblehead wrote:Ok then, either try using this one or go to the copy I have in googledocs and try to download it from there.



Can I recommend adding Block Rating somewhere? I use the +40 block on my shield and it adds .45% block chance.

88.3594 block rating = 1%

Been trying to get the numbers on the spread sheet to line up with whats on my armory page and finally realized that it doesn't take that into account.
Marblehead
Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:31 pm

Re: dodge-parry ratio

I have completely forgotten about the block enchant. I didn't add a block rating field, since the only thing with block rating is the enchant, so I just add a Yes/No field in the buff section. It should be fine now.
mtgeekman
Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:40 pm

Re: dodge-parry ratio

Well, I was sure trying to over complicate that...

Thanks!

also, I cleaned up the DIV by 0 errors on the Google docs sheet, and a few things that I'm not sure if I screwed up or not. The Change in Stat for Mastery, Parry, and Dodge were not pointing to anything, just had 0 in them. and the Validation for the Block enchant was pointing to the range for the food buff.
PsiVen
Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: dodge-parry ratio

The ideal ratio is actually slightly more parry rating than dodge, assuming you have Windwalk. I'd like to see what exactly that number is, but I'm guessing it's ~70 and impossible to hit for most reforging setups.
inthedrops
Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:39 pm

Re: dodge-parry ratio

PsiVen wrote:The ideal ratio is actually slightly more parry rating than dodge, assuming you have Windwalk. I'd like to see what exactly that number is, but I'm guessing it's ~70 and impossible to hit for most reforging setups.


With all the strength on our gear, and the amount of gear also including parry, I find it impossible to reach the ideal dodge/parry values these days and more or less gave up. I suppose different rings or something might help but with my current gear it's not possible. And yes, this is after reforging where possible/sensible from parry to dodge.
vexryn
Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: dodge-parry ratio

lythac wrote:At current avoidance levels Parry should be (roughly) 1% higher than dodge on your char sheet after raid buffs.


Can someone point me to where this was theorycrafted? Maybe I'm blind, but I can't find any stickies on it or see it in the MATLAB thread.
theckhd
Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:06 pm

Re: dodge-parry ratio

The DR ratios for dodge and parry are the same, but you get 5% base parry and only ~3.9% base dodge. Hence, to keep DR balanced, parry should be about 1% higher.