Skip to content
Maintankadin

Jewelcrafting/

Uthadanin
Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:05 am

Jewelcrafting/

Those BoP gems are just pretty, almost pretty enough for me to drop enchanting for (seeing as my guild has other enchanters) just for the BoP gems. 15 stam being one of the main ones. I was just curious as to how much of an endgame difference jewelcrafting might have. I'm talking t4/t5/t6 gearing. How much extra EH can you squeze out with the extra 30 health per gem...

So the reason why I posted this in advanced training is b/c I'm looking for an endgame analysis of these gems vs. SSoE's or other faction rewards/drops. (ps. I don't even know if the +15 stam is the best craftable gem).

For example in my gearing I believe i currently have 5 blue gem slots/ 3 red and 4 yellow. Just in blue slots I will make up 21 stam b4 scaling/ kings. and I believe an extra 8 or 12 in defense rating as well.

I don't know the slots available in t6 gearing off of the top of my head but i'm sure someone has access to it. So can I get some nice number comparisons and valid arguments of why to do this or not to do this. I don't care about the money in endgame content, I just wanna make sure if I decide to go this route its actually worth the trouble.
_________________

Aarek
Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:45 am
They are all unique-equip so thats one of each gem type you can use. Its an 18 stam gem so that is a total of 6 stamina you gain. The only other gem thats useful is a defense gem.

So, total gain from taking jewelcrafting... 6 stamina, 4 defense if you replaces a solid star of elune and a thick dawnstone. Not very impressive. IMO people don't go jewelcrafting for the JC only stuff. They go jewelcrafting for the money they make by pressing a button.
_________________

Aalryn
Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:48 am
Enchanting has much better enchanter only perks than jewelcrafting does.

I'm a JC and Enchanter and I'm always complaining about how terrible the JC only gems are. In themselves they are good, but the fact that you can only use 1 is BAD.
_________________
~insert flashy signature here~

"Error: Armory link not found" ... Tankadin no more
Lolpaladins
Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:56 pm
Right now, for maxing out your character, enchanting is the best profession by a fair margin thanks to the ring enchants. I'd rate engineering as a close second thanks to the amazing helm, followed by Jewelcrafting for the BoP gems followed by Blacksmithing for the Boots/Belt.

I'm betting that with WotLK enchanting/inscribing is going to be the "end game" choice. But Engineering/Blacksmithing will still give you some awesome items at 450 skill-level before you begin raiding.
_________________
QuantumDelta
Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:05 pm
If you're really really crazy...

(1st slot)-> Engie until you replace your engineering stuff.
(2nd slot)-> JC: Craft everything BoP and do the unique equipped ones several times over.
(2nd slot)-> Enchanting: Enchant everything to the max.

Not really sure what you'd replace engineering with though.
Alchemy, potentially, I guess.

I've been Engie/BS since time immemorial though and it's unlikely to change.
xyzor
Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:26 pm
Just to clarify: there are 2 +15 stam gems. One is BoP unique-equipped from JC. The other is a epic-quality BoE gem made from T6-level content. It is NOT worth taking JC just for the BoP gems, ince they are ALL unique-equipped (just like the trinkets are all BoP). They are basically the equivalent of chanters ring chants....though i think you get more from the ring enchants.

JC is really good, though, for making money.
_________________
xyzor
Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:54 am
Quite right Jacob, thanks for the clarification and list.
_________________
Ajax
Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:54 am
There ARE 2 +15 stam gems in the game and +18, the +15's are the tier 6 content and the one you get as a quest reward from troll among trolls in ZA, the +18 is gem crafter only BoP.
Was one of the 1st few gem crafter's on my server and only the rush to get every patten was dam worth it, paid for epic mount other pattens crafted armor and weapons Smile and back then 1k a patten was cheap for some of them o0
_________________
Azulito
Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:55 am
I'm currently a JC/Enchanter... i WILL NOT EVER drop enchanting... as it makes it much easier to immediately enhance any items i get, without having to get raped by the AH for mats. Even if i don't have the pattern (like 12 stam to bracers.. grrrr.) i can just get a guildie to chant me up with my mats (i always have 3 stacks of LPS and 10 stacks of Dust, 2 stacks essence).

JC is nice for the trinkets as they are great for pre kara gear. I'm currently rocking the living ruby serpent trink, it's sexy for stamwhoring/threatwhoring. the BoP gems are weaksauce in my opinion, though. As tankadins, we really get to utilize 3 of them though, if you count the +spell dmg one (for a threat set).

if i had to choose, i'd choose enchanting though.


In any case, assuming you take advantage of all 3 or any of the three.

+6 stam
+4 Defense
+5 spell dmg.


OR.

+4 to ALL stats... or x2 rings for +8 to all stats.
+12 spell dmg... or x2 rings for +24 spell dmg.

So in essence, although you "lose" 4 defense with enchanting, you gain 4 agi and int. and 7 spell dmg... or you gain 2 stam/12agi/12int.... or 19 spell dmg. over JC. i know my wording is kind of retarded, but you understand what i mean, i'm sure.


also, consider that although the gems provide some small gains, they still take up a gem slot*. The ring enchants just give you gains on items that you would normally not be able to enhance.

*(i think it'd be cool to be able to add a socket to items as a JC, this would be pretty awesome.)

so yeah. there's my opinion (first post in which i didn't ask a question btw! woot!) forgive my dyslexic way of getting out my thoughts.


**edit: i messed up the values from ring chants**
_________________